I am still waiting to get in with my neuro, so I am now just trying to educate myself before my appt. I posted a similar post in "Chronic Pain," but have not gotten a lot of response, and just now found this section on SH.
Anyhow, I have read a gazillion stories about cervical stenosis, but a lot of them leave out how severe, unless it is severe or congenital, then it is usually stated. So my question is, do surgeons normally wait until it is severe to do anything? Or does it also depend on your symptoms?
Also, as I have read may different stories (obsessively!!!!), I have noticed that many refer to their compression as "5mm," for example. My report says I have moderate, bilateral foraminal stenosis on multiple levels, but never refers to an actual measurement. I guess I should also mention that I have had prior cervical surgery, ACDF C5/6 in 2009. A little more background, I have been going to a pain management doc since March 2010, am on several pain meds to attempts to manage my pain, and I have tried more injections to see if they would successfully work before moving on to see my neurosurgeon, which they didn't help more than a day or so.
So, here I am still going nuts trying to figure out how my appt is going to go, when I do finally get an appt. I feel like it will go one of two way; 1) "wait and see how things progress" 2) surgery... At this point, I just want some relief! If he told me I could "possibly" get 20-30% relief from surgery, I would jump at the opportunity. I can't handle much more, I am absolutely miserable and very impatient for this appt to get here so I can get some answers. Two years of pain management and several injections later, and I a prepared to take the chance of going drastic in hopes of some relief.