Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy &Hockey

Wings44WWings44 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi out there. Never really understood the concept of chronic pain until herniatng a disc about 90 days ago playing hockey. Went through traditional stuff that has worked in the past, rest, meds, etc. Pain started radiating down left leg, about 8/9 at its worst. Tried PT, Valium, Vicodin, epidural, Bikram yoga (pretty solid, will probably go back as part of PT) but nothing worked. I am no Dr but when I saw my MRI it was very evident the cause of my issue. Finally had surgery (discectomy) this past Friday. Got out from anesthesia, got out of bed and pain was 100% gone (other than the incision site).

I know I have a long road ahead of me in PT but I really want to get back to playing hockey so would love to hear from any fellow hockey players who have gone through this surgery and what it took to get back on the ice. My Dr gave me the stink eye when I said I wanted to play again, but I cannot imagine not getting on the ice. I am in my early 40s and play in beer leagues, pretty competitive, but no checking. I realize I may have to move down a few levels, but really want to stay on the ice.

To all who continue to suffer through the chronic pain my heart goes out to you and I hope you can find relief soon.

Thanks in advance!
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear about your injury. I also used to play hockey. I won't be playing for a while. Be careful, its easy to re herniate the disc.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • even though i am of the female persuasion i played hockey for about 20 years, my last 10 years with the men. I was pretty small and got pushed around a lot. some men hit me for the sake of hitting me because they didn't want a woman in the league. as a goaltender i stood at anout 5'4" (maybe 5'6" on skates lol). after my surgery i chose not to play again. i still had pain and given that goaltending is a game of reflexes, i would cringe when i would think, what if my body moves reflexively and i really hurt myself? i couldn't get past that fear and playing goal with fear in your eyes is NEVER a good thing. i have had 3 more lumbar surgeries since then and have a spinal cord issue at T10-11.

interestingly i had a great physiotherapist and i was doing physio with 3 more hockey players, believe it or not. two of them were back on the icer withn a few months, and i don't know about the other guy.

you'll know once you start skating whether you'll play agaian. i hope the answer is yes.

p.s. what's the deal with wings42? shouldn't it be flyers18? haha
  • as long as you don't do stupid things and remember spinal surgery is always major ..recovery should be fairly quick ..and you should get around 6/10 years out of it IF you look after it ..that's the good news
    the BAD news
    your spine has been operated on therefore its now weaker that it was so it will not ever be as strong as it was and 9/10 people need revision surgery within 10 years ..and the more you open the spine the more problems you can have ..so remember that when you decide to go bungee jumping!.scar tissue is also a problems and that will give you pain ..not nice ..but enjoy your pain free life for as long as you can
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Thanks for all the comments much appreciated. The Wings44 is the name of my adult team and my #. I hate make things worse but I am actually a born and bred Capitals fan.
advertisement