Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

should i?

dancingnancies14ddancingnancies14 Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, so a little background. I have a herniation at L4-L5 as well as spondylosis and minor case of spina bifida. i have had pain since july 2010 after i went to an adventure park (wake boarding, zip lining etc.) i didn't have any pain that day but the next morning, i could barely walk. since then the pain has gotten progressively worse. originally i didn't have pain in my leg, it was only in my back. now (as of the past couple of months my leg pain has increased. i have been through 2 bouts of PT, 5 cortisone injection treatments (i say that because a couple of times there were 2-3 injections done), acupuncture, chiropractic care and now i am going to a holistic PT place (they do healing and such...i am desperate!). my doctor has suggested surgery and i went for a second and third opinion and they both suggested surgery as well.
they want to perform a discectomy to remove the herniated section. i am just so nervous! i have never had any type of surgery or even a broken bone or stiches!
i am hoping that it will relive this ridiculous pain because i just can't take it anymore. i feel like i don't have a life and i can't do anything that i love, even work.
I was just looking for anyone that could give me some advice, guidance, support etc.

thank you so much,
xo Becky

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
april 2013-fusion, l4/l5

• Only you know if you want surgery. You've done the right things by going through PT, injections, - do meds. do anything to help?

I had a discectomy and laminectomy at L4-L5. Recovery from surgery for me was not that bad, but the jury is still out on whether it really did any good. Nerves do take a long time to heal so I'm trying to be patient. As far a surgery goes, of course it hurts afterward, but I was given adequate pain meds and was able to get up and around much quicker than after my fusion (neck). It seems that reading posts here that recovery from lumbar fusion is harder than a discectomy.

It's good that you have gotten multiple reviews. Make sure they answer any questions you have.

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • thanks Karen. no meds don't work at all. i have tried all different kinds; steroids, muscle relaxers, NSAIDs. all they do it make me feel weird, but feel weird with pain. :''(

please keep in touch, i hope that your pain in your back starts to get better.

tnx for the response.

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • It seems like you've exhausted the conservative treatments. After that is usually when people take the next step (surgery). I know I did, twice.

The spondy is a little bit more concerning than a herniation. Did the surgeons mention what they would do in case they make the incision and find things are worse than what they thought?
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • hi paul. no they havent mentioned that. i do have a pre op apt on thurs so i will def ask about that. thank you!
    what kind of surgeries have you had? what was ur experience like? tnx again for the reply.

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5