Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro-discectomy L5-S1... post surgery questions???

billytk03zbbillytk03z Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On 4/25/12 I had micro-disc @ L5-S1...

Pre-Op- I had severe sciatic pain down right leg to the the shin are. (Pins and needles pain). I had numbness and stabbing right buttock pain. I had very severe pinching pain at the L5-S1 part of spine (right side). The perfect wrong movement would cause the nerve to pinch causing severe pain and my lower back would give completely out for that split second. Sometimes I would turn in bed while sleeping and the nerve would pinch and it would wake me out of a deep sleep in thriving pain. I had a feeling of heaviness/slow response in my right foot.

Post-Op- 5/15/12 (21 days since surgery) I have large lump that has formed above the 1 inch incision area, it is tender and not extremely painful. So far at this point I noticed that the severe pinching nerve pain in my low back has seem to have been reduced by almost 75% which is awesome so far but I have seemed to develop a severe and intense stabbing/pinching pain in my side buttock/hip. It seems I've traded one problem for another or I just never noticed the new pain in the buttock/hip because the nerve pain in low back was so severe. I still seem to have numbness in my right leg, and my right leg and foot still seem heavy or slow responding. My low overall back seems to be more stiff than previous although It may just be the healing still taking place from the surgery.

Have people that have this type of surgery experienced what I have described, if so, what more should I expect for better or worse.

• Hi Billy-

I'm not sure about your other pain, but I had the same surgery and the area around my incision was raised and swollen for about 5 weeks. Your inflammation may be causing this pain - what does your surgeon say?

My back was stiff too, for a while. I did a LOT of stretching after a couple of months, and it got better. Maybe if you give it another 2-3 weeks it will resolve itself.

Good Luck!
  • I can tell you that after my L5-S1 micro-d, I was in a TON of pain, bed-ridden, and unable to move for about 5 weeks.

I though the surgery had failed or something. I asked to come in and get seen again. As it turns out, it was only inflammation and swelling around the nerve root.

An ESI (epidural steroidal injection) in that region took care of it. I did not have an incision like yours however so I can't comment on the lump. I think what you are experiencing is normal. Are you doing physical therapy?
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I have just seen my surgeon yesterday and he said the incision looks good and the lump/swelling on the incision is common and should go away in a month or so. Im still in a lot of pain so he prescribed me Percocet 10's because the 5's were not enough anymore. He told me to give it a full 2 months before we start speculating on the surgery success %. He wants to try and start therapy in about 4 or 5 weeks because he wants to let the swelling and inflammation settle down a little more. He encouraged me to walk alot and move around which I have been doing since after day 5 post surgery. Keeping fingers crossed... thanks for the replies bro's.....