Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pretty severe pain, I am to blame.

sunshinebry2000ssunshinebry2000 Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Everyone, Wow am I such fool. I went to my concert in San Diego and I tried to sit still but I couldnt. I danced and moved and clapped and participated in the music. I cannot even explain the pain I am in. I have severe burning sensation from my neck through my shoulder and down my arm. This is the bad arm, the one that was pain free when I woke up...dammit!!!!I cannot believe I did this to myself. I was having such a good time that I just got lost in the moment and it was like I had no restrictions!!I am so upset..I am going to ice it and rest but I have to go back to that damn PT tomorrow and they always bring pain with them. It is just so hard for me to do nothing. SO I start to feel better and I over do. I had such a great time but I hope I am just sore and did not do any irreversable damage. I have not had this sort of pain since my first week post-op. I see MD wed. I feel stupid that I allowed that to happen. I really thought I would be ok and now Im not. Lets hope I am just sore from over movement and will be fine! but not for a few days because PT will kill me tomorrow, may I rest in peace then!!I am a lousy and apparantly deaf patient!
Kimberly Martin

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Sometimes we just want to feel normal again and do things we know we shouldn't be doing and throw caution to the wind and go for it. I do it every year for a Nascar race and always ask myself why do I do this to myself? But I continue to go every year. By the time I am home from a weekend of camping and having a great time I am ready for a nursing home. And every year I say this is the last year but that being said I already have my ticket for this June. Lol. If you are still in post op period listen to your surgeon, dont over do it and in time you will learn from your body what it can and cannot do anymore. Hope you feel better soon and Im glad you had such a great time!!!!!
  • Sounds like you had a good time at the concert, that's the problem with us spineys we end up paying the price. I pray you didn't do any damage and are just sore, hope your pain meds bring you some relief. Remember you are in control, if pt tells you to push it and it doesn't feel right, don't do it. God Bless Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
  • So I know I am a masterpiece in progress lol, I met with MD today and he took xrays it was a follow up and was going to anyway. He said I was find I just have inflammation from over usage. He said I really need to do something hard and heavy to cause real damage thank goodness. He prescribed some steroids and NSAIDS to bring down the swelling and I will be fine. My doctor is very easy-breezy (he is always positive and nothing rattles him) so I was set to return to work 5/31 but I m sitting in there in pain because of what I did and PT (he said I could stop that at anytime I want) He said if you want go ahead and stay off work till 6/18 and I said ok. Now my job is managing without me but I know they are struggling and to be honest sitting in front of a computer for 6-8hrs terrifies me and my neck but bottom line is i was going back at 7 weeks post-op, is 9 weeks excessive to be off for 3 level ACDF C4-C7. I feel like I agreed because I am suffering now but would I be ok in 2 weeks on 5/31. I think I m feeling guilty for being out of work and wondering if anyone has a timeline that seems common to how much time to recover to do a desk job. I have a stressful job mentally but very little labor. My doctor will take me out as long as I want but I would never abuse that plus I like my job but I am in alot of pain. WHat do you think? Oh and thanks to Joe for his post I think these therapists are abusing me, I feel very little relief from them and I had an appt on tuesday that was over the top. They ice me at the end and I spend the whole time praying for that. I need to speak up about the pain level I believe. I need to be my own advocate in healthcare these days unfortunately! Oh and I have all of you too. Feedback on the MLOA would be appreciated. Thanks Kim
    Kimberly Martin
  • Kim,

For alot of people, 3 months is the timeline for a fusion,especially a 3 level. You set the parameters, both with PT and with work.

Make sure your workstation accomodates your neck, you need to be looking straight, not down or up. Also a chair with good support.

I've been watching your posts since you had surgery, and you seem to be doing really well. I think we all have to learn the hard way what limits we have when recovering, and then again, when we are fully healed. Most are lucky and have none, to very few limits, some are not as blessed. It takes time to adapt.

Your body will tell you what you can do, as you found out.

Hoping your back on the road to a complete recovery soon,

• Thanks Dee, I appreciate the feedback. My desk at work is ergonomically correct because I work for hospital they are big on that! I just need to remember to get up move around and stretch every 20-30 min. that will be a struggle because I get so involved in what I am doing. Based on how I feel now I am glad the MD took me off for the extra 2 weeks I really believe I need more time. Thanks to everyone for just being there, I am so glad I found this sight where I am understood.
    Kimberly Martin
  • I hope you are feeling better, even if it is just a little bit better.

When I had ACDF on C5/6, there were several times I over did it and thought I did something really bad. My doc told me the same thing, that it would take something pretty traumatic to do real damage.

Inflammation can make things feel pretty intense. Just try to rest, take your meds, and ice or heat. Hopefully you'll be back to "normal" in no time.

Take care of yourself. At least you had a good time and the pain isn't all for nothing ;-)