Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck surgery

dojoes555ddojoes555 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
1 doctor said I should have 3 herniated discs removed. Operated from the front.

I went to a Boston doctor yesterday and he recommends I have surgery from the back of the neck. To remove bone to release pressure from my spinal cord.

Has anyone had this type of surgery before.

• Seems different doctors have different ways to repair us. Some people have to wear hard neck braces, soft soft. Some use a graft from the hip, some don't. My personal experience is I had three disks removed. Had (not sure of spelling) myelopathy which is pressure on the spinal cord I believe. Anyway my surgery was from the front, had the peek implant, everything seems to have gone pretty well. I'm three months out. Most pain is gone and I am trying to resume my normal lifestyle again. My only issue is a choking sensation which is suppose to go away with time. I hope so but other than that I'm pretty happy with my results. I did see four different doctors before I was comfortable with one for surgery. I did wear the soft collar when Someone drove me somewhere and sometimes when I slept. It seemed to relieve the cramping somewhat. But did not wear it the rest of the time. I was not instructed to wear it all the time either. Wore it for maybe about two weeks out of the hospital, maybe three.
  • In my 3rd week of recovery from: Anterior Cervical Discectomy C5-6 and C6-7; Anterior Cervical Fusion w/PEEK cage and DBM; and Anterior Cervical Plating C5-6 and C6-7.

The worst thing after the surgery was the pain in my throat. It was the worst throat pain I have ever had and I guess that's because everything is pushed to the side to get to your spine.

I really have not had alot of pain in my recovery, I had been suffering with numbness in my right arm and hand for over a year. It would wake me up in the middle of the night like someone was stabbing my arm and hand. I felt complete relief after waking up from the surgery from the pain and numbness. The only thing I have a problem with now is alittle bit of numbness in my right hand if I do something repeatedly. My doctor said it will hopefully go away in the near future. I have to wear a bone stimulater for 4 hours a day for 6 months because I also have osteopenia, and the doctor wants me to have the best opportunity for healing. Also have to wear a soft collar around the house except when sleeping. Have a hard collar for riding in the car.

Am getting somewhat depressed because I can't do want I want to do for awhile yet. Very expensive surgery even with insurance, but it's worth it for the relief of being in constant pain. Good Luck!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Ive had both the anterior and posterior approach with cervical surgery. The anterior is easier to recover from then the posterior. The posterior approach is a longer and more painful recovery. The posterior approach means cutting all the muscles in the back of the neck and it really makes them mad and fires the pain up. You will hear all kinds of horror stories about the posterior approach but for me it wasnt THAT bad. Getting out of bed ( getting up and down ) was the worse. Good luck
  • Thanks for the info, Susan.

Not looking forward to this...But hopefully it will help.
  • i had a ACDF on feb 27 2012 @ C3/4 and 1st one was in 1999 @ C 4/5 same surgeon did both surgeries
    i wore a soft collar for 2 weeks on my 2nd surgery-now i still going to PT i am on my last week
    i not feeling any better then before surgery-still having a lot of nerve pain down my left side...
    may have to try getting ESI-but i had a few of them a few years ago with no relief-my surgeon is sending me to see a pain mgmt dr to see if it would help...
    good luck