Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to forum, numb hand

ozzylevenoozzyleven Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all, I've been poking around this forum for a little bit trying to find some answers/support. Six weeks ago I was in a car accident. Basically, a couple days afterwards I had onset of numbness/tingling in my right arm hand. It sort of runs down through the shoulder and into the thumb. I have function of my hand, but it feels weak and I try not to use it because if I pick up anything too heavy I irritate it a lot. So far, its pretty much been referred to as severe whiplash. I've been doing PT three times a week and while its helping release some of the neck tension/spasms the numbness is completely the same.

My MRI showed a herniated disc at C5/6 with no significant signs of impingement, C4/5 to a lesser degree. I had an EMG today and while I haven't seen the final report, the neurologist (who didn't impress me with her people skills) seemed like she was in a total rush, caused my hand to bleed profusely for about an hour (hit a vein I guess) and scooted me out the door saying it looked normal. The whole test took 10 minutes. I guess I thought it was supposed to be a little more involved than three needle pricks.

I'm getting really upset because I feel like my doctor isn't helping. She keeps saying its just muscle tension and prescriber muscle relaxers, but they don't touch the pain and turn me into a zombie that still has a numb hand. She seems to think that the herniated disc is completely unrelated. Is it time to look for a new doctor? How long can muscle tension cause numbness? What other options do I have?

• I have the same symptoms as you. My nerve is pinched off the the disc. That is what is causing the shoulder, arm, thumb tingling and numbness and radiating pain down your arm as well as weakness. Go get another opinion and be very proactive in your own care!