Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5 C6 disc herniation with nerve pinch

StacerpacerSStacerpacer Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am new to the boards and hoping I can gain some great feedback on my condition. I am a hairstylist, work 40 hrs a week behind the chair. 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a disc herniation C5 C6 and it pinched off my nerve going down my arm to my thumb. The pain was unreal! Yesterday j had a nerve root block injection and am curious if anyone has had good results from this or has had similar experiences as mine. I still have pain and the numbness and tingling is still present.

• Hi and welcome to the forum and first and foremost you are not alone, this forum is full of complete strangers who know exactly what you are going through. I was diagnosed in 2008 with three herniated disc, stenosis and other good stuff, went to ortho and he recommended a three disc replacement which I did not do. To make long story short I am having an ACDF C5-6 on July 10, 2012 because that is the worst disc because it is pressing against spinal cord and nerve root. In 2009 I started with cervical epidural injections but they really didn't help. I'm having surgery now based on recommendation of neurosurgeon and my chiropractor whom I trust completely, I have been going to same chiro for 25 yrs and he is an excellent chiro. In 2008 he recommended that I put surgery off until last resort, after seeing last MRI he feels that surgery is only choice left. Have you seen an ortho or neuro yet because depending on the amount of impingement you could risk permanent damage, please don't be terrified when you read this for every spine is different. I assume you had a recent X-ray or MRI, if only X-ray start researching for ortho or neuro in your insurance network because it can take time to get an appt. start by speaking with your primary doctor about your condition and don't let any health professional push you around. If your pain is constant or getting worse talk to primary about seeing a pain management dr, that is who did all of my injections. Also keep looking around the forum because I have found so much info and people who understand what you are going through, if you are having a bad day write a post about even if just to vent, don't worry about annoying anyone because we all have good and bad days and support each other. I never realized how important this forum would be for me, I am so glad I found it before I went to neuro because I went to appt with right questions to ask. Sorry for rambling but if I can help you in the same way others did or me then I will be happy for you. Again look around post and reply to others or keep asking questions and the many wonderful human beings here will help anyway they can. God Bless, Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
  • Hi there and welcome! I too am a hairstylist and a few months back herniated my disc as well. I have tried any and all conservative methods and now am heading to get surgery asap.

If your injections do little to help the pain I would be asking for a referral to see an experienced neurosurgeon then go from there. A consult would tell you a lot. I assume you've had an mri allready?

Anyway,we all know what you're going through so if there's anything you need just ask.

Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Hello and welcome to SH, but sorry you have to be here!

There are great resources here, and lots of support. You will always find someone who has been where you are, or is in the same place. Just the advice on the everyday things is a godsend.

With your career, I'm sure it's hard to cope with the nerve affecting your hand. And trying to keep your head and neck from not moving an impossibilty. Try ice for the acute pain, like right after work. The 20 min on, 20 min off routine. I also use heat if I feel like it's more of a muscle spasm pain.

I hope you can find something to help soon, don't be afraid to be definitive with your doc on getting some answers.

Keep a journal of treatments(like the injection, or even just rest, ice etc)and your responses. Also your pain levels, what makes it worse etc. This will give you & your docs a good idea of what exactly makes you hurt, & what does or doesn't help. Sometimes there are lots of different things being tried and this will help you keep it all straight.

Also get copies of your tests and appts to keep for yourself. They can be worth their weight in gold.

Best of luck, keep us posted,