Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated disk: No pain, feel great but doc says surgery?

lil.guppyllil.guppy Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Herniated a disk and I was in horrible pain. The pain went away then my leg went partially numb and I had horrible sciatic pain. The sciatic went away after a week but my leg still felt heavy. After another week the numbness was only in my foot then another week it moved to just my big toe.
As of now my big toe has very faint numbness and If I try to lift my leg its a little heavy but for the most part I feel great.
My doctor said that I should get the surgery where they remove the herniated piece because I have numbness in that leg weather I realize it or not.
If I dont get the surgery or post pone it for a year to see if it heals on its own will I have permanent damange on that nerve? I asked him if I can wait and he said its not necessary. He sounds a little money hungry but maybe I am looking into it too much?
What are your opinions? I am not on any pain pills or anything
advertisement

Comments

• No pain no reason for surgery, You would have to be crazy to have any surgery if there is no serious issue causing pain, Even people wiith pain dont want surgery many times cause the risk involved,

Many times it heals on its own, If it ever returns and dont heal surgery can be considered then, I would tell the dr thanks but i will take my chances and wait with surgery and have a nice day,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I agree, don't do anything at this point. My surgeon said he only recommended surgery to people who grabbed him by the coat and said "You have to help me".

I'm not sure how old you are or how long you have had this problem, but I would think permanent nerve damage would not be an issue. Wait it out and see, you have nothing to lose and may never need surgery at all. DON'T do it if you can avoid it!

Good luck!
  • Doctors have been telling my father for 25 years YOU MUST AVE FUSION.. Well he has not.. Has his quality of life been effected?? Sure but he can walk and do stuff just... If u have numbness in your saddle area, problems with going to the bathroom, or when u wipe ur rearend u feel numbness thats dam serious.. Other nerve damage is no fun cause my father has a atrpohy leg since he has not had surgery but deal with it..

Flip a coin and gets lots of opinions before surgery!!

AS INFO accupuncture was the biggest waste of money i ever did.. I would be better off hitting myself in the foot with a hammer.. I did 5 treatments and though it was fairly relaxing it did not change much other than relax a few back muscles.