Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not new to chronic pain... Just new to the site.

KarenAnnKKarenAnn Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi! My name is Karen. I am 35 and have a 14 yr old son. I am still currently employed as the office manager at the small business I work for but notice myself slipping further away, mentally, everyday since I started working extremely reduced hours in December of 2011. I have been having pain since Oct '08 in my left leg and as the yrs have gone on I've gotten more pain in more areas. When my left leg first started acting up I had 2 ultrasounds done at the cost of almost $8000 but since I didn't have insurance I didn't have the option to seek care for the pain. So I dealt with it. Continued working 40-60 hrs a wk and did my best to act like nothing was wrong.

In April of 2011 we got health care insurance at work and I started going to the dr. So apparantly I had somethin goin on in 2008 with my spine that has now affected my entire being physically. I have my thoracic MRI this afternoon but as of right now I have cervical kyphosis, lumbar stenosis, a total of 7 herniated discs, 4 of which are causing cord compression. Not to mention the occassional tear or cyst that I was told are no big deal. Ways in which not getting help affected me... Severe/life threatening deficiencies (adrenal & vitamin), loss of sleep (11% restorative and sleep max of 4-6 hrs daily), loss of 150 lbs (obviously I needed that), skin disorder causing lesions all over body (assumed due to deficiencies), lesions/masses on four organs (assumed due to deficiencies). So yeah, I managed to take what is a bad thing and make it a whole lot worse. Now my body doesn't absorb due to cord problems so we haven't found a pain med yet to relieve any pain so I don't take them and my body won't even accept IV iron infusions. My saturation goes down but my iron doesn't change. Now I think one of my biggest frustrations is dealing with health care 'professionals'. It constantly feels like they need a lesson in compassion and ethics! Grrr... another time, another place... Luckily I got in with the gastro dept at Mayo (because of the weight loss & severe deficiencies my spine wasn't checked till Jan when herniated cervical discs were accidently seen in a brain MRI) in November and when I called my dr there last wk he got me in with neurology there next week. So todays the thoracic MRI so they have my whole spine in black and white. Kinda already know this mri isn't gonna be good based on one I almost managed to fight through in March until the tech said he wanted another 16 mins worth of slides. Um no, I was already numb on the left side, horrible pain through the rest of my body, heat waves goin over me from top to bottom and I could feel my blood pressure rising. He pulled me out of there and said I prob need to be sedated based on the pain I was experiencing and the way my back is. Fun times! Not!

Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and I hope that we can be here supporting eachother through this battle for a long time to come :)

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have come to a great place to make new friends and find out information about your conditions.. please have a good look around and make yourself at home.. i hope you find out some information from the tests to help you feel better!!good luck! be sure and stop by the forum anytime.. Jenny :)
  • I've been looking around and trying to get a feel for the site. More so yesterday since I've been pretty out of commission today. :)

It's been quite the day and I can't wait for the results. I'm not even sure if they got what they needed. Just that I was given 2/50 mg Fentanyl before sedation, during max sedation I was given 2/50 mg Fentanyl (due to body showing symptoms of pain) and 2/1 mg Versed (due to body showing symptoms of pain), and then in recovery 50mg Fentanyl and 1 mg Dilautin piggy backin every 5 minutes till I told them to stop after two of each and still no relief. They kept offering it but I was starting to feel extremely nauseous. What's the sense in dealing with the nausea if the meds aren't giving any relief? This was with the nausea patch that was placed behind my ear an hour before sedation, Zofran during max sedation and in recovery when I was still asleep. God forbid I drank or ate anything beyond that point because whatever it was, it was coming back up along with whatever other meds mightve been caught in the upstream. More Zofran on the way out the door and still barely made it home and to my bathroom. More meds comin up. Yuck :( So, I will find out Wednesday if they got enough film. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for welcoming me! And I hope you are doing well in your recovery!:)