Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

had c4/5,5/6,6/7 discectomy, corpectomy, cage and fusion on wednesday, home on thursday!

welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
i was due to have a vertebrectomy but there was problems with high need beds so had a corpectomy instead of full vertebrectomy, they still used the cage and metalware. i found i didnt like the effect of the morphine, made me feel ill, so i accepted the pain and by the following morning was up and about, drinking loads of water and walking (all thanks to the tips i got from this site!) on the thurs morn the doc said i was doing so good that if i got the catheter, drain, canulas out, saw the physio and had my xrays done i could go home... well i was on my way home by 4pm! feel like i have been hit by a bus, but only on paracetemal and codiene at night (only to keep hubby happy as he feels it must help!) can hardly swallow but again was prepared for that, when the food gets stuck i just dont panic and sip water. the hard collar is something to get used to but i have a soft collar for nights and in the shower. today my wound is beginning to itch like mad and i am wondering if i should change the dressing? any suggestions. scar should just end up looking like a fold in my neck. so ......... so far so good. thank you again, still in satin pjs,etc.. what a great site this is!

• So glad that you are home and doing well. Just don't go overdoing it or you will be in a world of hurt! I stayed in the hospital for 4 days with my vertebrectomies, but mine was front and back and a little more involved. Also, I had some complications that required me to stay longer. So I think it is great to hear that you are on your way to recovery, at home where you can be comfortable. Good luck! Yogurt, puddings, and ice cream are soothing. I also enjoyed warm cocoa on my throat. (just don't fall asleep while drinking it--it isn't very fun to wake up to burning hot cocoa down your front, ha ha). I must have been heavily medicated because I remember sitting up with the cup in hand and the next thing I knew it was burning me.

I don't remember how soon I changed the dressing, but I'm thinking it was daily. A quick phone call to your surgeon's office to ask may be a wise thing.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!