Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Space in c1 and c2

CrowCCrow Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have recently found out that my c1 and c2 vertabraes are spaced to far apart they are at a 6 mm to 8 mm space I have NO pain but my dr says I'm at a great risk of being paralyzed or killed seeing another dr this week does any one know what my options are if my only option is surgery please tell me what I'm in for pain recovery time any help is appreciated I'm so scared !!!!

• Welcome to SH. If you look down farther on the board you will see another discussion on C1-2 fusion. Different cause, but same safety concerns due to the lack of support at that level.

There are also people who have had surgery at that level who are active on the forum who will be able to give you a better idea of recovery from this surgery.

My First neck surgery was in 1980, I had 3 surgeries in 18 months, and to get a good fusion(no hardware those days) I had both an anterior and posterior surgery on the same day. They just flipped me over to do the front after they did the back. They took the graft from my hip. My fusion was at 5-6, so much lower.

The hip was the worst initially, the incision at the back of the neck causes more muscle spasms post-op, but as I healed all these things resolved.

I was in a hard collar for 4 months. I was lucky, I healed well. It takes time, but I was able to return to a normal life. Then I fell off a ladder 2 years and injured myself badly, with permanent nerve damage. But I had 30 years with no problems.

Good luck to you, the 2nd opinion is always a good idea. Make sure your NS is one you have confidence in and who has experience with the procedure you would be having. Under the FAQ's there are some good lists of questions to ask your doc.