Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PM I have some Questions.

dfritts2012ddfritts2012 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Pain Management

First some background info, I'm 25 years old now and I was diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patella at like 12. They wanted to do a lateral release then but at the time my dad was skeptical and afraid I would have to have more & more operations and end up with a complete knee replacement like a family member of mine has had happen to him. Now I'm 25, my knee is in constant pain all the time non-stop even when at rest. The doctor wants to go ahead and do an athroscopic lateral release on both and look at the damage done and go from there (I can only imagine how bad it is, my knee sounds like a popcorn cooker anytime I bend it)

My question is this, i'm only 25 and i'm skeptical to goto a pain management doctor in the mean time (i don't have health insurance and i going to have to save up money and do surgery one knee at a time).

I have heard they treat younger people like they are fiends or something. Can I expect this?

I'm also worried they might not adequately control my pain by giving me weak medication because of my age.

Up until now my cousin, who now has two fake knees, has been giving me pain meds because he gets a lot and I don't have health insurance. I have been taking Naproxen, Flexeril, and 1 1/2 10mg percocet x 3 (15mg x 3) a day. This only takes the edge off the pain though, there is still a dull pain from time to time.

So am I going to have trouble getting this kind of prescription from a doctor? Your feedback is appreciated.

• I think you need to get established with a doctor and go from there. You need to have your ducks in a row now, and I don't think you'll get anywhere if you ask any doctor you just met (with no labs, images, etc. to back up your pain) for any medication. You wouldn't want to say yeah I've been taking this but don't have a prescription, can I have more? You need to go through the proper steps. That's the cold hard truth.

I completely understand your fears about being treated differently because you're young. It most certainly happens, I still get it after being diagnosed 12 years ago at the age of 21. The way around this is to do what your doctor says. Don't turn your nose up at treatment options they give.

Finally, I think you should consider not taking somebody else's medication. You're liable to end up on blast here, because so many of us patients who have proven our injuries, anomalies, etc. still contend with harsh looks and terrible treatment from doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. because of people getting medication when they shouldn't and other people diverting medication when it's illegal. At this point you and your cousin can get in BIG trouble for the Percocet diversion, it's a schedule II medication after all.

Anyway get to a doctor and good luck to you.
  • First let me say I know your in pain as someone who suffers from it and now is grading at a 4 waiting till a 5 for replacement surgery. Hopefully along the way they have been watching this. Besides medications there are other treatment options that help, are of longer lasting that a short acting pill. For example the injections that are out there can keep many off the OR table. There are lots of doctors whom won't do the release any longer as it has showed the knee may need to be replaced earlier than if not done. I myself have tried both types of injections(don't have names with me right now), but they are safe to use in most cases. I prefer the series injection over the one big injection, as had some side effects of it. If you look in the section conditions not covered, you will find some threads on this, and they are worth the read. I believe some of there were started by mshumptydumpty.

Besides the injection some quality knee braces will help also. I actually have the ones that can be used to help stop the progression and they are also what could be used post surgery. I have the adjustable degree's so If I am locked up I can change the degree to one then as it releases change the degree's back gradually.

As far as going to pain management I wouldn't just be looking for pain meds. Also keep in mind many pain management places will take a initial drug test and you don't want to have that in your system when it might just be the doctor whom can help you. By no means do you want to tell a doctor what to give you. Keep in mind what you are doing is illegal, while I understand being in pain and sometimes it is brutal, it is just the way the doctors have to work. But let the doctor do the diagnosing. My guess if the diagnoses is from when you were 12, and there is no current images, they will want new ones. They need to make the diagnoses themselves to design a treatment program that is best for your individual condition. Good luck and hope you find some relief.
  • Sorry if I didn't explain this already. I saw a doctor about 2 weeks ago about this knee pain and he did xrays and all the usual then came back and scheduled surgery for me. He is going to do a lateral release on both.

So in reply to your statements, I do have recent documentation of the problem and am getting ready to have surgery on both.

As for the reason I'm taking pain medication now without a prescription: I am unemployed and I have no health insurance. It's been very difficult on me because the pain is so bad I can't work. My cousin just gives me some because I couldn't afford to pay for it at the time.

I am, however, now lucky enough to have a family member who is going to help pay for the surgerys and doctors appointments for pm until I can get disability.

I don't plan on telling the doctors what to give me, but I am wondering if I should be honest and tell them my previous situation (unemployed, no insurance, therefore taking some pain meds from family member and tell them the amt taken)

Should I do this? Should I not? Should I just tell them whats going on, bring x-rays, mri, etc from my orthopedic doctor and then let them decide blindly what to give me without previous knowledge I was taking some pain medication? Should I be worried about age profiling?

What should I expect? What kind of questions should I ask?

I just want to go in prepared and know what to expect and what to ask and what to tell them.

I have an appointment setup for the 22nd of June. Any advice you can give me on this would help.

Thanks alot!
  • As mentioned....one of the first things you need to be prepared for is for the PM to do a drug test on you. If they find medication in your system without a prescription...you will not be treated by them and they will put a record of this in your file to make it pretty much impossible for anyone else to treat you with medication.

I'm sorry...but not having insurance does not give you permission to break the law. It is a Federal offense for your friend to be giving you their medication.

No one's trying to be mean....We all understand chronic pain here...But to not follow the law because of this is not a good excuse...That's like saying it's ok to rob a bank because we don't have money. Or steal from the grocery store.

You also need to be aware that they are going to do pre surgery blood work on you and they may likely choose to do a drug panel as well. This can show even the tiniest trace of medication so even if you quit everything right now....it's cutting it close to have it out of your system completely.

Again...you are risking your entire future of being treated by a PM Dr. or any Dr. with pain meds by doing what you are doing now.

I don't have any insurace myself. I am on the least expensive medications. So believe me...I get it...

Was there a reason that you haven't been on your parent's health care plan?

Again...not trying to be mean here....but you really do need to know that what you are doing could wind you in jail and/or not getting the care you need for your pain going forward.

I do wish you luck..
  • Whatever you do not let them know you have been loaned and taking taken someone elses meds. I know you think honesty is the best policy and being up front but my experience with these Doctors that is one huge red flag to them. You will probably not be allowed any narcotics with the Doctor while he may treat you with other things but they will always look at you as a potential abuser. Good luck with your problems,
    PS Before you go to your appointment make sure you have had no narcotics or MJ in your system for at least 2 weeks if not a month.
    You may have to take a urine drug screen test.
    If you are really in serious pay try the emergency room and they may give a script for Lortab to help you to your appointment now that would perfectly OK because it legal.
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
  • backpain67bbackpain67 Posts: 95
    edited 12/19/2012 - 6:44 AM
    I see it was quite a few months since you first posted and was wondering how you were doing now? I hope things are going well for you by now.
    Many times this things takes a long time.
    Sad but true.
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
  • Yes,if you want any help DO NOT TELL THEM you have borrowed any meds!!!
    At your age it could cause a lot more problems for you to receive help for your pain!!
    best Wishes to You!!