Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone tried medical MJ for nerve pain?

Ginger2GGinger2 Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in Chronic Pain
While researching solutions to nerve pain, I ran into a bunch of articles that said medical marijuana has proven effective in easing it. It is legal where I live for people who qualify. I have a debilitating condition with chronic pain, so I qualify. I have an appointment with a doc in couple weeks to get certified. Has anyone here tried it for chronic pain, especially for nerve pain? If so, what were the results?
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Over the years there have been many discussions on the subject.
    There seems to be 4 different opinions.
    1. adamantly against it.
    2. don't care to try it, but don't care if someone else dose.
    3. Tried it and it helped.
    4. Tried it but don't like it, and it didn't help.

It's legal where I live. With a Dr. issued card. I tried it. But don't like it, and it didn't help me.
    But many say it helps them.....so
    I say anything that helps is fine by me.
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,606
    It is a great appetite stimulant, anti-nausea, general and muscle relaxant, chronic pain reducer.

Anything is better than feeding more money to big pharma!! It is natural, holistic and has been used for hundreds of years .... But gee, I don't live in one of the 16 states where it is allowed. Humph!!

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • I have tried it and it works great for me, but I hate the side effects I get. I only use it during my really bad nerve pain nights when I cant shake my pain. Some people can smoke it and be around their family and be there mentally and emotionally, I cant.

I would say its something that is worth trying for sure. Even though it has negative side effects for me, when I need it, its so nice to have. Just to be able to snap out of that crazy pain cycle for a couple hours is a great break for me.
    that may have less side effects as it is a "purified" form of the active ingrediant THC ... it is called Marinol ... It can be google searched.

Always more info !!

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • I heard on the news, that a woman that has a Medical Marijuana card, she went into a gun shop to purchase a gun, and was denied because of the Medical Marijuana.
    Lose a right .... Funny I'd rather have a pot head with a gun than an alcoholic!!

But that's probably OK ....!!

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    My Story  - Click below
  • The mmj has helped me in that it relaxes my muscle spasms and reduces the nausea from the pain. It allows me to be more social and less apt to anxiety. (8)
    Also!?

:)

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    My Story  - Click below
  • Thanks everyone for your replies. Information is good!

I've come to understand that it's hit and miss in being effective for nerve pain. But what isn't?
    neednewback said:
    I have tried it and it works great for me, but I hate the side effects I get. I only use it during my really bad nerve pain nights when I cant shake my pain.
    My worst times are at night, when I wake in the wee hours of the morning. It can take hours using traditional stuff (Ibuprofen, heat) before I can get the monster calmed down enough to get back to sleep. I was thinking it might come in handy during those times.

Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts on the subject. :)
  • Metalneck said:
    Lose a right .... Funny I'd rather have a pot head with a gun than an alcoholic!!

But that's probably OK ....!!
    LOL! That really stuck me too. I don't know about other states, but here anyone who has ever had any kind of drug conviction, and anyone who was convicted of a felony in the last 5 years, is ineligible for a card.

Whatever happened at the gun shop, nobody is going to lose the right to bear arms over holding a medical marijuana card. In our state, law enforcement has special access to information (provided by the card holder) to be able to confirm that a card is legit, but that info does not come up on a their usual background checks. It wouldn't come up on a gun shop's search either. Our state also did an odd thing when it first made it legal. It bound the right to legal access to MJ, and the right to privacy regarding it, to the state constitution. I think that me, my guns, and my permit to carry concealed are all perfectly safe. :)

I've got to wonder about the intern who saw me in pain crisis. I was at an agonizing 10 with pain, and he was all squeamish about prescribing vicodin. I wonder how he would feel now, knowing I would rather try medical MJ than have to beg for relief from tools like him!

I have friends in the UK who thought their NHS system was bad until they heard my story. US medicine is amazingly cold and uncaring, in my opinion.
  • Cupcake said:
    The mmj has helped me in that it relaxes my muscle spasms and reduces the nausea from the pain. It allows me to be more social and less apt to anxiety. (8)
    That's very good to hear. I've stayed pretty isolated since this all hit. I'm kind of terrified of being out in public somewhere and getting broadsided by pain. It's just a such a miserable experience, even when it happens in the privacy of home.
  • Haven't tried it but it is medically legal here in BC. My doc says she has no experience with it but I think one can go through a pain clinic or find a doctor willing to prescribe. Then you have to go to a special dispensary to get it. I have heard of some people getting great relief for pain but again everyone is different.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    that cat is ripped!
    =))
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • It took me a while to figure those two messages out, J and Metalneck! If it gets me as comfy as that cat appears to be, I'll be quite pleased. :)
  • I haven't done any of that since high school, which was many, many moons ago - but I'm fixing to give it a shot this afternoon. My compadre' (only galpal I have and she's 63) smokes it for recreation and is taking me to go get IVs this afternoon. I'm gonna have a puff and see if it helps just for my gee whiz file - then go from there. I haven't had a drink in over a month because of the TB medication and it sucks! Had to get on anti-nausea medication and have dropped 34 pounds in 6 weeks from it. Gawd, I'm losing all my finest assets! Really a pisser.. Anyway, I hear tell that MJ increases the appetite and since starting these drugs, nothing sounds good, I can't eat. I'll give anything a whirl once. The TB med is in the same class as chemo, which explains why some of my hair is falling out too! Being the vain bitch that I am - this is really an issue for me!
  • I hope you get feeling better, Mouse. It scares me that you are losing so much weight, so quickly. Sorry about the hair too, but hair will grow back.

Let us know how the MJ works for you.
  • a regular smoker way back in my college days, I thought this was really a lot of bunk when I heard about people using it for pain. I had the opportunity to try someone's medical mj which is legal with a permit here in OR. I was utterly amazed at the pain relief. For me it bordered on the miraculous. I was not, however, pleased with the appetite stimulation, and I also worry about the stigma attached to its use, legal or not, with respect to other rights and privileges of normal citizenship, so I haven't gone to apply for a medical card. I doubt that I will and I doubt that I will use it again, unless my situation changes drastically. My pain is bearable and it is treatable with my current meds. I suppose I'd rather have something more natural, but I don't know that I'm ready to head for that shady side of the law right now.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • searched out this post to see the responses , im new to all of this, the nerve pain, back pain, possible surgery( which i am actually standing more on the against surgery side of it all) ... i have a ruptured L5/S1 and have been diagnosed with Radiculopathy, have been told i have fragments in my spinal canal, and scheduled to see a Neurosurgeon. not sure what all of this means , even researching, i get the jist of it all, but seems to be a game of chess in finding what works for each individual.
    thinking taking my chances on a natural drug and ancient years of use and no major side effects, or no entry of leading into another medical issue, like all these pills that get pushed, Ohio however refuses to get on the bandwagon for anything that works for the PEOPLE .... good to see all the feedback though, thanks for posting the question , My whole thought in it is that the thc numbs the nerve endings over a period of using .... and if my nerves are whats causing all the pain? ... well then... i guess if it walks like a duck ... good luck everyone .... im off on this path to seek what has the least longterm effects on my body so i can be strong and healthy again ....
    Karen Ramsey
  • There aren't any long term studies on the use of MM for treating nerve pain........at least none that I have ever seen.
    Having fragments of the disc floating around the spinal nerves is not a good thing, and having radiculopathy means that you have nerve problems somewhere in your lumbar spine.
    There are risks to surgery of course, but there are greater risks in leaving the nerve impingement too long and those can have serious repercussions . It would be wise to see the neurosurgeon and go over his suggestions and ask questions regarding treatment options, and what may occur if left untreated.
  • I won't get into the politics but much more real scientific research needs to be done into the chemicals contained within the marijuana plant. There are studies which show it can be helpful in relieving chronic pain of all types. Please remember these research results are based on 'limited studies' to date, the improvements aren't drastic when compared to current prescription medications. I'm particularly referring to the recent Canadian study of smoking & the NYC study of pill form (which had much better results) a simple search will bring these up on the first page.

It's important to remember that no-one claims that marijuana 'cures' anything for us suffering from chronic pain. It's being researched as a pain reliever blocking signals to the brain. If your nerves are being squished or damaged its a physical problem needing a physical solution. No medication is going to stop nerve impingement.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I'm in a state where MMJ is legal and have been experimenting with it. Of course, there's the smoking MMJ for immediate relief, but there are also loads of edibles. I have a chocolate bar, lollipops and small edibles. There are also tinctures and honey and probably more. I've tried the edibles and they take a while to kick in. They are specific to pain, relaxation, a high or sleep. I haven't noticed a ton of help with the pain, but nothing touches my pain - not narcotics or MMJ. But, like pain meds, it helps you forget and relax, which in itself helps pain.

I have a friend who was diagnosed not too long ago with MS. As usual, the symptoms were well along when they diagnosed it. She is the one who gave me a lot of MMJ from the shops, both smokeables and edibles. She doesn't like anything but tinctures and honey in her tea to help her sleep and relax. Very important for her.

So I'm in the class where you won't know until you try and evaluate honestly whether it helps you or not. I can say that using it long term or short term only makes a difference in terms of how much you need to help, it's not more helpful the longer you use it, it can help right away.

So, don't knock it until you try it if you can. It's been beneficial to many people and the stories you hear about people going crazy because of pot either took took too much, took it irresponsibly, or took it with too much alcohol. There has never been a case where police were called to a domestic disturbance because of pot, but many with alcohol involved.

Cath
  • Have you tried using it to help with meditation & visualization? I've read some strong reviews for it. I'm very interested in the medications that could be developed long term from the main chemicals in marijuana. There have been some very promising short-term studies being released. I'm glad you're in a state that has allowed you to find out for yourself. We need every extra 'spoon' we can find! (Reference 'Spoon Theory'). I've read a lot of the research studies & although I'm not convinced it's the miracle drug for chronic pain that some claim, I am certain that there's no physical harm in trying (if you don't have a mental illness)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I have extreme nerve pain in L3, L4, L5 to  SI.  My pain, so you can judge for yourself is on average days at approximately an 8 out of 10.  I also have increasing numbness resulting in many episodes where I cannot take one step and I'm telling you this so you know that over the last 10 years time, there isn't a treatment I haven't tried except of course hanging upside down which would clearly pull at my neck (where I was fused)  and "that" isn't an option.
     I DID try medical marijuana and I was very excited at the prospect of this treatment working for me, but unfortunately, it didn't work at all with respect to the pain or the numbness I experience.  I also didn't feel comfortable smelling like I was back in the 60's every time I went out of my home as the Canadian government has passed this (sort of) it still isn't law here so I was very uncomfortable with this treatment for that reason as well.  There are also many different types of medicinal marijuana that are offered to you as a patient, I opted for the strongest brand of marijuana available which by comparison to what is on the street does not come close.

On top of that, living in Toronto, Canada, the clinic I had to attend meant that once every 6 weeks I had to see a doctor who approved my ability to obtain medical marijuana but he often forgot my symptoms from visit to visit and on most occasions didn't know why I was there which was more than frustrating on top of the wait time to see him and the fact that each time I did I  went into the offices, I also had to urinate into a tube so they could ensure that I wasn't doing other drugs at the same time I was doing the medicinal marijuana which made me feel like they didn't trust me and that was also uncomfortable considering I am very honest and have very real symptoms.  The doctor I was seeing also tried me on a THS spray that you spray under your tongue which helped me to sleep but tasted so awful It would take an entire package of funky tasting gum to get the taste of the THC spray out of my mouth.  And around and around we go.  Good luck, its worth a try for everyone because we all respond differently to this treatment.  One thing I can say is it won't hurt you to give it a shot and keep your fingers crossed.
  • SadAthleteSadAthlete Toronto Ontario Posts: 41
    My experience is that it made things worse for my nerve pain when I used to have it severely. MJ also made me very lazy and unproductive. 
    Continue to suffer from alignment issue and myofasical pain in rib cage and pelvic area.
    Nerve pain and back pain are more stable these days but still get flare ups.
  • Research how it works. It is very different from typical pharmaceuticals that inhibit this or stimulate that.

As I read it, part of it is also in easing how one feels ABOUT being in pain.

(=^..^=)

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.