Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica Symptoms?

swacksmansswacksman Posts: 5
I'm a 50 year old man who has been very active, lifting weights, running, etc. I do have a desk job, so over the years my core is not as strong as it used to be, but I'm still considered to be in good shape. I've had some off and on back problems that have always been diagnosed as muscular, and they've always gone away. The worst episode did land me in the hospital, as I woke up in the middle of the night and could not move at all. That was about 2 years ago.

My recent history is that in Mar 2012 I developed a bad respiratory illness that had me doing some major coughing, to the point that my lower back started hurting. Just as it was getting better, I somehow managed to hurt my back a bit working out, but went to my chiropractor, felt great the next day, and hit the gym to do legs. No problems noted, and worked out the next day, a Friday, doing arms. Well, later that night and into the weekend, I started having the most agonizing pain that feels the worst in my leg, primarily my hamstring, where it's a dull, constant ache, and the shin, where I get a shooting pain. It's hard to straighten up, too. I feel like I'm binding in the soft tissue near the groin muscles. I can also feel pain in the buttocks. If I just touch my back, it feels super sensitive. A very strange feeling. That first weekend I got virtually no sleep, as I was in total agony. The only position that would provide any relief at all would be if I'd get on my knees and stretch out like the Muslims do when they are praying. I saw my doc and he got me on Prednisone, which I'm almost through with, and Vicodin for pain. I've tried to limit the Vicodin but can't get through the day without it. I just had an MRI but haven't seen the radiologist's report. It's been over 2 weeks now and it's pretty scary, as I can't see living life like this. Does this sound like sciatica or perhaps something else? I can move, but everything is painful. Thanks.

• Hi swacksman,

The shooting pain that you describe sounds a bit like sciatica to me. Do you get any tingling or numbness, burning pain, muscle spasms?

If it is sciatica, a compressed nerve root in the lumbar spine could be causing you grief. Nerve compression can be caused by herniated discs and a number of other things. Keep working with your doctor. I hope that the MRI gives you a better idea what you are dealing with. Hang in there! It is totally normal to feel scared. Hugs.
  • to what biobabe131 posted. Back/pain problems.. they are very scary. And very normal to feel like that.
    Sometimes we have to learn a 'new' normal to live-- and it can be an interesting journey.
    Pain is scary, period- when no control or understanding of why it is there. (i hate the body versus mind fight!. Mind wants to do it... all... :) and body, well, nope- not today.
    You have found a great site to learn, and I feel information is power. You have a whole new group of cyber friends who understand.
    Keep positive-- if today sucks, tomorrow can only get better. If today is ok, tomorrow can only be better than ok.