Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

T6/T7 central disk protrusion - contacts the cord

sophia petrillossophia petrillo Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi everyone... I'm new here and found this site when I was researching neurostimulators. That was something my doctor mentioned when we were going over my history & symptoms.

I'm 35 with chronic neck pain and issues. I went to see my doctor last week because I started having some tingling in my upper back, which was a completely new symptom for me. He did some standard neuro tests and sent me for a cervical and thoracic MRI. I am scheduled to go back in 2 weeks for the results & an EMG.

I received a copy of the MRI report and I am freaking out a bit. In addition to my neck stuff (which I was aware of), it states that I have a central disc protrusion at T6/T7 that is contacting the cord without cord signal abnormality. Of course, everything I read about has me concerned. I have a 4 year old and an 8 month old so I'm a bit worried about what this means.

I'm going to call my doc in the morning to see if it's ok to wait the 2 weeks or if I should get in sooner. I never expected anything to show up on the thoracic MRI.

I guess I'm not sure what I'm asking... just looking for some support or advice or thoughts. Thanks if you made it this far, LOL!

• I am also new to forum and am so grateful to know I am not alone. I had herniation at T-6-7 level. I was having severe chest pain and upper left abdominal pain and went through stress test and heart cath. After heart cath I had to lay on table flat on back with my heaf at 30 degree angle and started having severe mid back pain. I went to my primary who did x-ray and sent to MRI. I got a call that she was referring me to my neurosurgeon and I knew after 3 former back surgeries that this was not a good sign. MRI showed herniation which was pressing on spinal cord and was causing the pain. He said I needed surgery but since they are rare and damgerous his practice does not do surgery on thoracic spine. I was referred to Duke University spine clinic to a Dr. Robert Isaacs who is the only practice in NC who operate on thoracic. I had surgery May 24 and after surgery he informed me that they had found a tendon that wrapped around spine and had to be moved before they could operate. I am still having the same chest and abdominal pain on left side that I had before I had surgey but now I have new symptoms and complications. I have severe muscle and nerve pain in both legs but right is worse and sharp stabbing pains that shoot through my back. I seen him 2 weeks ago for the increased pain and he said I may have reherniated the disk but did not feel it was appropriate to do another MRI at this time. I am living off pain meds and muscle relaxers as well as neurontin and nothing seems to help for long. I have to wait until I go back July 18th so see if I can begin PT. I have had lower back pain for 20 yrs. and first surgery was 1994. Never experienced pain like I have had in thoracic region. It is so much worse than lumbar pain for me. I am now debating on whether I want to go on disability because I have missed so much work and it will just be a matter of time before they let me go:( I hope everything went well with your MRI and you get the answers you need. Please feel free to message me anytime...I would love to have someone who understands what I am going through:)
  • I too have herniated disc in my thoracic, t56 t67 t78 and t89, I am trying to make an appointment with a neurosurgeon in Tampa at USF, I don't live far from there, so we shall see, the pain is the worst pain I have Everett felt! Good luck hope you get answers, pm me anytime, also at th2 levels is indenting the cord!