Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trying to avoid spinal fusion surgery from L4-S1

angelfirernaangelfirern Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am new to this forum so be patient. I have been diagnosed w/ grade I anterolithesis & unroofing of the L4-5 disc along w severe stenosis of L4-5 & L5-S1. I have severe radiculopathy in my right leg that is driving me insane(& it's a short drive!!). I have had a lumbar epidural w/ facet injections of L4-S1 that have helped. How many of these can I have to be able to avoid surgery?? I am also having episodes of bowel incontinence that are distressing & embarrassing. The surgeon says that if I had the surgery now I should have a good outcome but that it depends on how long I can stand the pain, increased symptoms & worsening radiculopathy. I want to avoid surgery as long as possible(& safe). I do have osteoporosis, am 56 yrs old & can still get around pretty good. I don't have a car so I have to do have to do alot of walking between bus stops. Would having surgery cause a problem w/ this?? I am in good health but am scared stiff of becoming a cripple since I live by myself. Are there any other options for me??

• Welcome to spine forums. Have you talked to a surgeon? My surgeon has held me off from surgery for several months. He gave me a list of things to try and put me on neurontin. I did all of the things he said but I still wanted surgery. So I sm scheduled for a 4 level fusion in 2 weeks.

Why are you so reluctant to have surgery? Don't get me wrong I know there are lots of reasons.
  • You sound like you have a lot of potentially complications from the spine issues. What does the doctor say about the radiculopathy and the incontenance? If the doctor told me that those could potentially get worse or permanent, I'd ask him where do I sign up for the surgery. Surgery is such a big decision, so consider all the pros and cons short term and long term.

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi
    I had a fusion of L4,L5,S1 with hardware 8 weeks ago and have no regrets whatsoever. All cases are different, of course, but My sciatica was gone when I woke up in recovery and though my right leg was so weak that I couldn't climb stairs before my surgery, now I can walk up a flight with only touching -not hanging on- the railing. There was some pain at first, but it was well worth it, and I'm now back to doing the things I love.