Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here, cord compression question.

kindredsoulkkindredsoul Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My mri says my cervical spinal canal is compressed to 7-8mm from a bone spur at C5-6 level.

How many mm is it normally and is this 7-8mm compression dangerous?

• Your doctor is the best person to evaluate your MRI. When is your appointment?
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others with cord compressions. As far as what level is dangerous there is really no one here qualified to answer that, and is a question for your doctor. Do you have a follow-up and when is it. Besides your images your doctor will also take into account his clinical findings in making his/her final diagnoses.

I would suggest that you take someone else with you to the follow-up, as they say two sets of ears are better than one. In the meantime while you wait for your appointment you can learn all about the spine and how it functions. In the FAQ section(located at the top of the page), there are two links one preparing to meet with a spine surgeon and the other 38 questions to ask a spine surgeon. You can be prepared with two sets of questions one if he/she says there is no need for surgery and the other if they say surgery is warranted.

Also keep in mind once you get a diagnoses, please come back and feel free to ask any and all questions as I am sure someone here has had your diagnoses.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how your appointment goes.
  • My appointment with the spine surgeon is Wednesday. I already know I have spinal stenosis, along with a lot of other problems. I know and understand my mri results. All I don't know, and wanted to know, is what size the spinal cord is normally and if I'm in any danger to myself should I want to exercise. When I try and find out what the normal size is on the internet, every place I look gives a different size. I thought since most of you have been through this, maybe you would know.
  • A bit like feet, people have different sizes.
    I have been told that my spinal canal is small and have I stenosis with cord compression. I haven't been told of the diameter, so can't help you there.

I think I have read that anything less than 10mm will cause problems.

• Thank you for your reply! I wasn't aware they would be different sizes. I'll guess I'll find out soon enough what is normal for me. Have a great day and thanks again for the explanation.

• Hope your appointment gave you some answers. Please let us know how it went!

• How did your appointment go?
    I hope you got some answers.
  • Well I can tell u what I have bn told by my NS and he said on average the spinal cord is 14mm. You ask y I would ask this and that is because mine is compressed to 5-6mm. I am what they call a severe compression cause anything below half is considered severe, he said after a persons compression gets that low that u can start having signs like, balance, headaches, bowel/urinary control problems (that is more lower compression than cervical), and the one symptom I have is tingling, numbness in arms and hands but part of my numbness and tingling is due to the fact that I also suffer from a brachial plexus injury. I hope this helps. I am not a doctor but I am a fellow spiney who asks alot of ?'s think my doc's get a lil upset but OH WELL they will get over it. PM me or catch me in chat if u ever want to talk.
  • Thanks for all the responses to my question. My appointment went as follows...

The PA took my reports and mri cd's and was gone a long time. I only saw his PA. She took new xrays of my neck and said the doc wants me to do 6 weeks of PT and take a muscle relaxer. I will see the surgeon in 6 weeks for a followup. I asked her about the size of my cord, she said the same as one of you did, everyone is different. She said I can continue to use my gazelle and exercise as I wish, and if I have anything happen (numbness, loss of bladder, etc.) to call asap. So that's that. I'm crossing my fingers that the PT helps. Thanks again for all your responses!