Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member - Hi Everyone!

CrazyDiamondCCrazyDiamond Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi there... I'm very grateful to have found this community, and it's comforting to know there are other people in similar situations.

I'll try to give a quick synopsis here: I'm a 40 year-old guy with an amazing wife of almost 11 years, and two of the sweetest little boys anyone could ask for. :) Almost 11 years ago - exactly one month after my wife and I got married - I was in a rear-end auto accident. Prior to this, I had always been totally healthy; never had any physical problems. But this car accident and the aftermath has given me (and my wife) an immediate education in dealing with doctors & hospitals, auto insurance companies, health insurance providers, etc. In the E.R. after the accident, they intially thought my neck was broken... thank God it wasn't, but I did have two herniated discs. It took several years and a lot of physical therapy to get my neck back to normal, where I could turn it without pain.

Unfortunately, my low back has been a different story. I went through nearly every treatment imaginable - nerve block injections, epidurals, TENS units, P.T., massage, etc... all in an attempt to avoid surgery. However, I didn't get any relief from any of these procedures, and I ultimately had a lumbar laminectomy about 7 years ago.
That gave me about 2 or 3 years of pretty good relief, but sadly, the pain returned... very slowly at first, but over time, it became just as severe as it had been before my surgery. A recent MRI showed that I have developed spinal stenosis, in addition to more disc herniations. My doctor mentioned that it had been difficult for them to see what was going on in the MRI - I have a great deal of scar tissue in my lower back from all the nerve block injections over the years.

In the first 2 to 3 years after the accident, I was able to work only sporadically... then ultimately I was taken off work altogether. Not long after my back surgery, I was able to get back to work, at a new job that I enjoy quite a bit, and that's where I work currently. I am able to function and enjoy a fairly good quality of life with the help of pain medications. I was fortunate to find a very good doctor, and I established a good rapport with him... he dispensed ample medications for me, and he trusted me with them... I never asked for early refills, I kept pain journals, etc. Sadly, a couple of months ago, my doctor decided to pursue an opportunity in a different state. Even more discouraging is the fact that the people who have taken over his practice do not seem at all interested in dealing with his chronic pain patients - they are rude, unprofessional and unconcerned. So I am currently scrambling to find a new doctor, hoping I can locate one who was at least as good as my previous doctor.

That's a very condensed version of my story, and I'd be happy to elaborate more if anyone is interested. I look forward to making as many new friends here as I can. :)

• Welcome Diamond, sounds as if you have a very good support group with an understanding wife. That is important. Hang in there trying to find a new Dr., keep searching until you are completely satisfied. Look forward to your post.