Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

360 PLIF surgery without pain medicine please read

D.G.DD.G. Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hey all,
I had my 360 PLIF surgery last tuesday so I am 6 days out. I feel great, my right leg pain is gone and I move pretty well all things considered. But my left side is terrible, I cant stand the hip, groin and leg pain. I came home and we filled my prescriptions and I was shocked,my surgeon sent me home on the exact same meds I took before surgery.
Oxycontin 10mg tid
oxycodone 10mg tid
neurontin 400mg tid
flexaril 10mg tid
I am in a tremendous amount of pain and cannot bear this much longer. Why would he do this? He even said this morning that he could not write anything stronger because I was already on strong meds. He said in his own words that it's kind of like going through surgery without pain control.
I love this doctor, he has been great at attending to my questions and keeping me in the loop on stuff but i differ from him on this one. He told me to go back to PM doc and if he wanted to tweak it thats fine, but that app isnt til the 29th. that is a long time to wait in this much pain.
Is it my state laws or what? I live in Louisiana btw.
Please help with any advice. Thank you all very much. David

• This is one of those things that patients don't think to get cleared up before having surgery, especially if they are on strong pain meds going into a operation.

I was told from my PM Dr that they expect you to be in pain for the first 30 days or so. That may be a reason he doesn't want to up the meds.

Does the PM Dr. know that you have had surgery and that the pain meds are not working for you?

Maybe offer to go to another office if he goes/has other offices, that is if you can do the travel. Maybe become the squeaky wheel at his office or ask to speak to the office manager to get you in earlier.

I think the normal couse of pain medicine is 2 percosets every 4 hours as needed. At least that is what I got after 4 different surgeries. Different Dr's have different ideas of what is to much. There may be other reasons, other then legal, for him not writing a stronger script. Maybe call him again.

Good luck.
  • Yeah I figured since he knew I was in PM, he would handle it. My PM called me back today and they got me in Wednesday, so I firmly believe the he will handle it right. My surgeon is awesome and spends all the time in the world answering questions as he did this morning. This may be one of his few flaws, maybe he thinks I'm whining but I know this was a serious surgery and I dont deserve to be hurting this bad, I dont want to be zonked out either but think I need something more effective. My surgeon wrote my scripts as 1 every 8 hours, so I stagger them every 4 hours. 1 perc then 4 hrs later 1 oxy, and I am trying to keep it that way but its hard.
    anyways thanks for your response and I will report when my PM fixes the situation. I've always passed my ua test and pill counts so I believe he will see my situation for what it is, messed up.
  • salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
    edited 07/04/2012 - 2:50 AM
    I have 360 fusion scheduled. After going through your exact experience after a l5 discectomy, i learned my lesson the hard way. I was on 30 mg of percocet a day and 20 mg twice a day oxycontin. After surgery they sent me home w lortab :/ needless to say I was in tremendous pain. Thank god I had full bottles of oxy and percocet to get me over the hump. I found myself taking as much as needed to get relief. I don't recommend that to anyone.

Regarding my fusion, I have quit fentanyl patches over a month ago because ill be damned if I go through that again. I feel your pain
  • and tell him/her that you require more pain killers [i was discharged from hospital on ..1000 mg of a combination of oxycontin and oxynorm .that's the slow version and the quick version ..the acute pain team upped my normal oxycontin from around 500mg to 1000 to help me with the awful pain ..6 months later and i am on around 500/600 per day .i know its a lot but i need it ...you need to ask
    good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014