Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LormacLLormac Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I have a subluxation from c1 to the odontoid process.

I trust my surgeon
He does not want to operate because of the complications

What can I expect in the future.
And when do i know I am in danger.

• Can you tell us what your issues are in simpler terms. What is "subluxation and "odontoid process" and any other terms from the other post?

It's awful that you can be in danger. What are the complications?

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Subluxation means instability from cervical one.
    Part of the fusion broke down and there is part of the skull indenting on the brain- stem.

The surgical procedure is very risky.

The odontoid process is what holds the spine up and allows us to move our heads.

So as it was explained to mr

• Paralysis from neck down.
    I'm trying to come to terms with this

• Lorrie,

Have you gotten a second opinion? Or are you OK with your docs decision?

Basically any trip and fall could have nasty implications. Just the pressure on the brain stem and/or spinal cord can cause respiratory distress, balance & coordination problems, even problems with concentration and memory.

I had a syndrome from pressure on my cord at C4 that caused a progression of issues, risking paralysis from that level down. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this, it's scary.

Are you in a collar or anything to help support and protect your neck? How long ago was your surgery?

Saying a prayer for you,

• Wow, Lorrie, that is so scary. I hope you have a good support group around you. Thank you for explaining things. Prayers are heading your way. Is there anything you can keep you as safe as possible?

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • That's funny!
    Just my mom.

We don't talk much about it.

Plus during the surgery my esophagaus was torn.

Went into shock ,

So where do I get support?

• When my fantastic doctor saw my newer MRI last fall his face turned white as snow.

He just said it was a mess.
    He sent me for a ct scan and he said he could not operate.
    The chance for a full recovery was almost next to nothing.

My neurologist just told me I could die.
    Didnt need to hear that.

So now it's just kind of TRYInG to be careful.

It's complicated though isn't it?

Thanks for caring

• We will be here to support you hon. I am so sorry that you're going through this. Can you go see another neurosurgeon? I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep me updated.

Big hugs.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• I don't think so.

I wish so but it's a no all around

• Lot,

I'm glad you are good with your doc, that confidence is great.

Anytime you want to talk just PM me. The one thing I really have liked to be a part of since I joined the forum is the support emotionally that we can be for each other.

I wish I had the power to make us all better, but since I don't, I will ask the man upstairs to keep you safe.

• Due to my last MRI
    The surgeons have decided I need surgery.
    First they need to lift the skull off the spine.
    Then build up C1

Kinda scared.
    Without surgery paralysis is for sure
  • bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
    What you've described sounds scary. I would be concerned if you weren't scared. You've really got a rough row to hoe. Now it's getting through the surgery.

I encourage you not to look very far ahead. "A day at a time" makes a lot of sense right now. Your path to resurgery will be pretty defined (appts, tests, clearances, registration etc). Just focusing on what's in front of you may help relieve some stress.

Please keep us posted on what's happening and how you're feeling. We care, wish you well, have hope for a good outcome. I'll keep an eye out for your next post.

2-level ACDF (C5-7) date being selected
    3 PLIFs: 2003, 2005, 2008
    PLIF L1-3 6/13
    ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
    PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08
  • Heres the news

No surgery and I will die!!! No kidding
    Surgery: I won't be able to move my head but I'll live.
    Pick your poisonin.
  • bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
    Lot, thanks for updating us. Seems like you have only one way to go. I'm sending you support energy for use in the next week's set of challenges. Do you have a surgery date yet?

We care. Keep on posting. :))) :-)))
    PLIF L1-3 6/13
    ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
    PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08