Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-5 microdiscectomy post op questions

JaredmJJaredm Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a microdiscectomy and laminectomy almost 2 weeks ago. The procedure seems to have worked as my sciatic pain is now gone. I've always been extremely active in sports and exercise and I want to resume those activities as soon as possible without creating additional problems. Most of the information that I have received so far seems to be fairly conservative as to when I should begin activities beyond walking and stretching. My doctor doesn't believe i need physical therapy. I'm walking 3 miles a day now and I'm planning to resume pull ups and push ups first before any other exercises. I'm 36 years old.

If anyone can provide some rehabilitation tips, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

• I was also extremely ready to get back to my active lifestyle. My doctor gave me so many things on my, "Don't do" list, that I wasn't even allowed to sweep my own floor. He also doesn't believe in PT. Just when things were getting better (about 90%), jerked and ended up with a second surgery. I couldn't believe that a movement so insignificant put me back to square 1. I had a L5 micro. The second surgery was so painful and long, I was shocked.

It's great that you are walking so much already! Just please be careful and as I learned, even if you feel wonderful, the simplest thing can set you back. I know they give you a LOT of restrictions, however, remember, your back is more sensitive than you may realize. Congrats on doing so well and I wish the best for a full recovery!

My advice is that if you have any questions or doubts on what you can or can't do, call your Dr. Trust me- they would rather have you double check then end up seeing you on the operating table again.

Again-Good luck and all the best!

• :)))hi I have just had 2 weeks ago decompression surgery for CES cauda equina l4/l5. previous l4/l5 op 15 years ago.
    I am now much more pain free but find it takes awhile for the pain to ease when going to bed and have a lot of pain in the lower back and legs,I guess this is normal.I have not taken any painkillers since the weekend in an effort to get off them.my consultant has also ruled out PT at this stage.
    over all I am happier that I have had the op and the prognosis is good being self employed is making it difficult not work though.
This discussion has been closed.