Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy

airborne72airborne72 Posts: 245
I posted this question on 26 April and got zero responses. Not encouraging.

Has anyone "bumped" into this diagnosis/prognosis?

I have a follow up appointment with my surgeon on Thursday of this week and I would like to enter that discussion with more insight and confidence regarding surgical decisions, etc.

• superbetty87ssuperbetty87 Posts: 1
    edited 06/20/2013 - 7:14 AM
    My husband has just been recommended the same and even wikipedia doesn't recognize it! I am VERY curious if you went through with it? how did it go? did you find an alternate treatment?
  • Kad:

Obviously, I got your message. I review the contents of the forum several times daily.

I never did undergo the PSO, but the recommendation to undergo such an uncommon procedure caused me to get a second opinion. That doctor (neurologist) did not recommend additional surgery but instead recommended pain management.

I thought about it (pain management); however, since I am still a young buck (62) I believed pain management to be a concession and not a cure. I endured the pain for an additional year (2012 until 2013) and wore a bone growth stimulator while undergoing several tests to determine my issue.

Alas, early this spring I told my surgeon (ortho) that I had had enough and I underwent an exploratory/revision just last week (10 June). He took out the original hardware and replaced it. He also used bone from my hip for the graft. I am now wearing a velcro brace and bone growth stimulator while I am either not in bed or in the bathroom. I'll be wearing this combo for several months.

So far this surgery has not hurt as much as the first, even though it was the same (TLIF L4-S1). This is odd because the incision was almost three times the length and the bone was harvested from my hip - both of which should have contributed to a higher pain load. Maybe I just had some idea what to expect, I don't know. But so far everything is going fine.

In hindsight, it could have been that because I had deferred fusion for so long (10+ years) my spine had slowly listed forward and when he performed the initial fusion the lack of mobility in my lumbar exacerbated the forward tilt to such a degree that I could not stand erect without pain and effort. Maybe this time he had two nurses stand on my back while I was on the operating table and then he bolted me in a better angle. Who knows?

Tell your husband I wish him well.

• I have been diagnosed with flatback syndrome. I have done some research and am finding that there are not a lot of doctores who have done ostemotomies. I live in the midwest and am really looking for anyone who has gone through the surgery and what their experience has been. I have had seven back surgeries and am fused from L1 to S1. Hope someone can give me some feedback. Tired of being in daily pain.
  • jeannepjjeannep Posts: 2
    edited 11/03/2013 - 12:01 PM
    Okay my spell check obviously didn't work. I am still trying to find information or doctors who have performed osteotomies. I forgot to mention that I also have an intrathecal pain pump implant which has helped with the nerve pain in my legs however the pain in my mid back is what is causing me most of my pain. The more I am up and walking the more I have to lean forward to try and alleviate some of the pain. Well anxious to hear any feedback