Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trial coming up

mr.dave.kanemmr.dave.kane Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Saw my Dr. a couple of days ago. I was hoping he would give me one more epidural injection to get me through the early part of the summer. He just said "what for? They obviously are not helping" So here I go. Does it matter how many spots you have either nerve pain (mostly right thigh) or lower back pain?
Does it help with all? I would love to hear from anybody. I'm 65 and had L4 L5 fusion about 8 years ago.
Thank you,

• Hi,

I am not sure what you are asking but I think its about the epidural.

I had a series of cortisone injections in each SI joint last summer. Both diagnostic and pain relief. because I got pain relief it determined that I had SI joint dysfunction.

I have had cortisone in other levels of my spine but without success. I ended up being fused L1-S1. Sometimes the fusion puts stress on the vertebrae above or below.

Do you take any meds for your pain? I have found that neurontin works for my nerve pain. I also take an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.

Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion or see a pain management doctor. I have my spine surgeon, my pain management doctor, my family practice doc and my internist all working on me.

Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Hi Dave, you've come to the right place to ask questions about a stimulator. I've had mine about 2 1/2 years now and it helps some of my nerve pain. My pain is in a lot of different areas. It doesn't reach all of it, but every little bit helps. Which manufacturer is doing your trial? Once you do the trial you'll have a better idea of how much it will help. Let us know how things turn out.

• ...with your trial, and if you haven't read it and have about 3 hours to spare, please read my chronicle of the 1st week following the perm implant. I'm about 10 days post-op and am still having pain issues near the Lami site due to some stupid choices (and just this morning, due to instinctual reaction, which I'll post about in that thread) I made.

Anyway, my stim is for groin pain and it does fairly well. It covers a large area, though, which sounds like it will be good for you, but for me, my source of pain is in a 2" diameter area, so my coverage is overkill.

R_U--normally I don't bring up typos, but I do when they are funny, so please do not take offense. I make them all the time but you made me chuckle when you meant to type "voila" and instead, it came out as "viola"!! Good stuff!! I was like "what does a string instrument have to do with SCS!! =))
  • Gosh dang stupid iPad always trying to 'correct' me!!!

That is funny, no offense taken. Normally I catch them! I think me and my tablet need to have a heart to heart.
  • Welcome Dave!

I agree with B. I have bilateral sciatica as well as a severely arthritic tailbone that gets relief. While the SCS doesn't make everything all better, it's not a cure after all, B is right when they say every little bit helps. Mine does NOTHING for my mechanical pain. If the nerve gets pinched normally, I just turn the Stim up an voila, relief. If its a particularly bad flare, it doesn't do nearly enough. I'd say I get about 50% pain relief, which for me is more than acceptable. I would have been happy with half of what I am getting now.

Post as many questions as you need to, many members have a lot of experience. I'm almost 5 weeks post op for my perm implant.

I couldn't be happier.
  • I see my doctor tomorrow to schedule the trial. I have had 3 series of steroid injections but they don't last very long and since it is not good to have them very often, I am going to try give the stimulator a try. It will be the St Jude Eon. I have continuous vice like pain in my lower back particulary on the right side along with some of that old sciatic burn in my right leg. I have also been using a TENS unit. It helps some but as I adjust the strength on it, it really starts to irritate me. I am hoping that the SCS works better.I am tired of taking meds all the time and I would be happy to be able to redude or eliminate them. As anyone tried the ST Jude unit and what has been your experience?
  • Is your back pain nerve related or mechanical in nature?
  • I had my trial SCS leads place above the t spine and had excellent coverage even my feet were vibrating. It helped my nerve pain incredibly. The mechanical was less since the nerves were turned off. I did tire easier.

My lumbar doesn't hurt like it did before my PLIF so I rarely need any help in that area, but I would say it is definitely worth doing the trial you may get incredible relief. you may hate it as well.

Do you use a tens unit at all? It is similar to that only much more intense and internal.

Good luck,