Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Day 10 post L5/S1 microdiscectomy

Kayla86KKayla86 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all!
I am new here and this is my first back surgery. In March I had a rupture at the L5/S1 level. This caused significant pain in my left leg and lower back. I did weeks of physical therapy and steroid injections but the nerve and back pain did not resolve.
I am now 10 days post surgery and I no longer have the nerve pain, just moderate numbness down to my left toes. The Surgeon said that may take a year to heal. At least I am no longer having the leg pain!
My surgeon said I had a large "chunk" and several areas of debris around the nerve root but the nerve did not appear to be damaged. However, due to the significant amount of work he had to do, my recovery would be a long one.
Since I am now 10 days out, I am concerned that I am still requiring narcs about every 4 hours. (one Percocet) and at times I have to take one every 2. Above my incision I have a small apple sized lump. The surgeons RN said that this was bunched up muscles. Whatever it is, it is causing the majority of my pain!
How have others felt 10 days post op, and has anyone else having to still take narcs? I feel like I am the only one that isn't off meds and at the gym!
Comments would be so very much appreciated!

• Hi Kayla - no I don't think it is unusual to still have pain. I have been reading a lot of forums and there are a lot of people with lingering pain. I know there are stories of people who get off the table and feel great and never had the pain again. In fact a friend of mine had that experience and his words of encouragement gave me unrealistic expectations.

I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow ( i had a bilateral laminotomy/microiscectomy L4/L5) and I am going back to the HSS in NYC for a new MRI with contrast to see if I reherniated. My surgeon thinks it is unlikely but because of the severe pain I am still having he wants to check as a precaution. I have followed all the protocols but I guess anything possible. I realize these forums can be biased because most people that get better fast probably don't go on here and all we read about are the people who are not coming along as hoped.

I had been in pain for 14 months but last years MRI did not show right Side bulge, where my pain was. New MRI in feb showed right side herniation L4/L/5. Two surgeons said it was a free floating fragment and it turned out that it was. It was compressing the nerve so bad that it was dented. I am hoping that the severity of compression explains why I still have pain in buttock, leg, as well as numbness and weakness. I cannot walk for more than 10 minutes, cannot sit at all, and can't stand foe a few minutes. Numbness and pain has gotten worse this week.

I am no doctor but from what I know it seems reasonable that you still have pain and are on the meds. My surgical pain is mostly gone and hopefully yours will be gone soon. I would add a word of caution and say that trying to do too much can be a bad idea. There is risk of aggravating nerve and prolonging recovery and remote risk of reherniation. I am not allowed to bend or twist or lift more than 10 lbs for six weeks. Then I start pt. I tried to ride a stationary bike 2 wks post op with the docs permission, but i think I aggravated the nerve and I have felt increasing nerve pain in my right calf and foot ever since.

My surgeon initially told me that some people feel immediate relief and others take a couple of weeks. He still thinks that in time I will see improvement but interestingly he never suggested it would be months or more yet some doctors such as yours did tell you that.

I would suggest to anyone who has concerns to not hesitate and call the surgeon with questions, I hope you have continued progress and get back to a pain free life.
  • I had a laminectomy microdiscectomy l4/l5 6 days ago and I just started trying to alternate the perks with 800mg ibu. My glute leg pain is gone. The incision site is really sore. I've worked up to walking 1.5 miles starting on day 3 but took a break today because was on my feet too much. I don't think I'll do any exercise other than walking until week 6. Trying to play it safe. Hope u feel better soon.
  • cansitstillccansitstill Posts: 10
    edited 06/26/2012 - 9:00 AM
    I had a L5/S1 microdisectemy June 8th and felt great. Started my walking regiment and 8 days later had serious headaches which were caused by a dural tear. I am now 5 days out from that and just quit the percocet and vicadin as I want to see what my real pain is. Turns out not too much pain but I do have terrible headaches. I would try and get off the percocet as soon as possible so you don't get addicted and you won't have these headaches. Replace with something less addictive like extra strength tylenol. Hope you feel better soon.
  • kitndustkkitndust Posts: 31
    edited 06/28/2012 - 6:51 AM
    I'm 8 days post op from a micro discectomy. My leg pain after surgery is gone but now I have increased weakness from my knee down to my toes. I still have numbness in my heal. I have not lifted anything so now I think my arms are getting week from not doing anything. I hope this is all normal. Waiting to hear from doctor about increased weakness in foot. Surgery went well. Doctor said when he took chunk of disc out, the nerve slide back into the correct spot.