Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro discectomy post op back locks up

Ricky29sgRRicky29sg Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I'm 8 days post op and I've been going through the normal wound pain. However the past 2 days have been rare. I've encountered bad back spasms that almost drop me to my knees while walking. Is this normal?

• Hi Rick

I am 4 wks post op tomorrow. I didn't have severe muscle spasms after surgery just along of pain at the incision site the first week which is about 90% gone now. I've had those type of spasms before surgery where I couldn't even get up off the bed without severe pain but that happened after a aggravated by pinched nerve. You should contact the Dr. You are supposed to follow up with him soon anyway right? Take your muscle relaxer and ice and call Dr. Did you do anything that could have possibly reherniated?
  • Hi grace, yeah it's awkward. I was getting them before the surgery as well but nothing post op until yesterday. I haven't don't anything strenuous at all they could have caused a reherniation. I called the Dr just waiting to hear back cause I don't see him till 6/01. Thanks for the info grace!
  • My Dr called me back and said the back spasms are normal during the 1st 3 weeks. He prescribed me a muscle relaxer that should help.
    My last spasm was at 11 am yesterday, the hardest one thus far. I walked around at 6pm without spasms so I was feeling good. About to get up and move around here shortly.
  • I'm sorry. I didn't return to this post. I get lost in them since there are several I look at regarding post op microdiscectomy. I'm glad that the Dr. alleviated your concerns. How are you doing now? How far along are you now exactly? I am 5 wks and 2 days. I have mild discomfort in my feet here and there but not daily. I am doing alot more activities now and have to remind myself to act like a surgery patient. How are your spasms doing? are you working yet?
  • I'm glad you're doing ok 5 weeks post op. you make a good point about reminding yourself about the surgery. It's easy to get carried away and do more than you should physically. Well my spasms are gone as of last Tuesday. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op now and I'm able to roam around with the walker. Yesterday I went to my son's baseball game, after missing 4 of his games, and I might have over done it with all the sitting and walking. My back and left leg are SORE but luckily no sciatic pain, or spasms. I saw my Surgeon last Friday and he feels my legs are weak, which they are. He's starting PT in 4 weeks and I'm not returning to work until aug. well good hearing from you and be careful with yourself!
  • Good to hear you are progressing along...I have felt great and finally this week, week 7 , I feel like I overdid it. I returned full time to work and started working out at the gym on the treadmill and elliptical. Have had 2 days of soreness in my calves and feet. Doc said I could return to these things at week 6 but seems like I took it too fast perhaps. Hoping to get over this bump. How are you doing now?
  • I'm on week 5 now and the spasms are almost all gone. I'm able to walk a lot more but only with the walker. It's frustrating, but I remind myself to have Patience! So how are you doing now? Were you able to continue your gym workouts or did you have to stop? Did u have to use a walker at all??
  • wow..it's interesting how every person is different. I had my follow up today (6 week follow up , a week late). The dr said it's scar tissue that probably irritated my nerve. He said when i start moving more than just normal walking the nerve rubs back and forth within a sheath and possibly there i scarring in there starting to happen and I caused inflammation. He told me to back off a bit from 30 min to 20 perhaps and increase by 5 min each time depending how i'm feeling. It is frustating ..I understand how you feel. I am sorry you are having such trouble walking. If you don't use the walker do you feel worse?
    I never used a walker, only a brace the first 2 weeks. I walked very slowly the first week. What was your history again before surgery? How old are you? What kind of lifestyle did you lead before surgery?