Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 and S1 fusion

barbrablythebbarbrablythe Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello All,

I will be having my L5 and S1 fused next month. Will I be able to do either a standing or seated or both full forward bend/flexion after I recover.

I do a lot of yoga and teach and hope to remain as flexable as possible. Any feedback is greathly appreciated.

• I have had fusion done twice. Due to the fact that the first time didn't fuze and the second time it fused partially. One thing i will say is give yourself time to heal no matter what! Despite being very limited..dont rush it. It will take lots of time for that bone to become solid and new bone to come over the fuzed area.
    Even when you are feeling better....still take it easy. You will be sore as hell and limited so follow your doctors instructions to the T. One thing that i had a little difficulty doing was instructions because PT was saying one thing and my Neurosurgeon was saying something else. I'll you right now...follow your Neurosurgeon first.
    I could not bend forward after surgery the way i used to nor bend back. Though in my case it seemed everything that could go wrong went wrong. It caused me great pain and burning down my back and right leg if i bend forward or backwards. It will take about 8months and a year before you will really start to do things....but everyone is different. Remember the L5 and L4 are working as one and not two separate vertebrata now. I had L5s1 to L3 fuzed.
    Depending on what cut or cuts your surgeon is doing ...will deterime when you start PT. Most likely it will be about 2-3 months later. Those cuts and it healing were hell. Sleeping was impossible the first month....and walking was just the same. Remember though i am a worst case. 9 years later i am finally back to some kind of normal...but you have to read my post on pain pump. Good luck stay mentally strong....depression what huge with me.