Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe morning back stiffness and pain

Mimi99MMimi99 Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi all. Had l5s1 microdiscectomy about four weeks ago. At 2 week post op visit I was told I could go back to do the normal routine such is laundry and cleaning . now for weeks now I am in more pain than I was before even have the surgery . I called the office and they were saying that you know the microdisectomy was for leg pain not back pain . I kinda felt like I was stupid was it the wrong surgery . they are gone try a medrol dosepak to try to reduce the swelling in the nerves . I am so upset that maybe I DID TOO much too soon and hat I may need a fusion. They want me to call back mid next week and possibly schedule an emg I think? It's a nerve test. I am so tired of bri.g in pain and not being able to do what I want and need to do to run the household. This is so depressing. Doctor said to note if I am having back pain or leg pain. Kinda a little of both. Anyone else have these issues. So upset!

• you need about 6 months to rest ..even though your operation was a smallish one it was still spinal surgery and that's always classed as major .pain is normal you could find that you always have it .i have been with back pain for 16 years .my first operation was an open laminectomy then 7 years later a redo and another disk had gone this time ..roll on a few more years and then the big one a fusion ALIF ..now fusions are massive operations with a very long recovery time .morning pain and sleepless nights are just a way of life to me now .i never get more than 2 hours sleep then i am down on my recliner .i am afraid that once you start with back operations its a downward spiral .unless you are very lucky.
    give yourself a brake and rest up
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I never had the disectomy and opted for the fusion because the herniation was only going to continue with with the disectomy. However, pain is normal and to be expected with any surgery that is performed near the spine. You're nerves get aggitated, the muscles will spasm because of the nerves and sometimes swelling in that area can cause a lot of this pain. I was in pain for a year after my fusion, but it did get better and now I'm virtually pain free (sometimes weather will bother it or if I sit too long etc). Just be mindful of when your body needs rest. Ice was my very, very best friend during the first few months of recovery. It's a tricky kind of inflamation because it won't swell like a say a knee would. It's not that visible but it can be all sorts of inflamed. Have you tried to ice it down? Get in a comfortable position and try some ice packs. I know I also needed one round of steroids for the inflamation and that helped the pain. Healing can and will hurt. But it does get better. Pay attention to your body, rest it and if it's telling you to stop...stop. Talk to your doctor about possible inflamation in the area and how to relieve it. As always if the pain continues or gets worse or starts affecting other areas, talk to the doc.

I just had to hang in there with the pain and my trusty ice pack with a lot of rest. The pain did get better.
  • Well just wanted to give an update. I did call physician and started a medrol dosepack on Saturday. Woke up Sunday 50% better. Monday even a bit more. I did carry a little bit of branches to the street and held a pool ladder for her to sweep under and now I am in agony. I did ice it down and am finding ice along with percocet to be my friend. I want to reduce the percocet but I really need to learn to do absolutely no lifting. I am so happy that i did not wake up in so much pain that I was shaking. I guess this will just be baby steps. My job is computers and sometimes traveling so I find it very difficult to return to that right now. I will not be able to transport that computer from place to place without excriating pain. Thanks for all the support here. It really helps.
This discussion has been closed.