Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Symptoms. Am I the ONLY one?!? PLEASE HELP!!!

fishinwidow98ffishinwidow98 Posts: 54
I'm in quite the conundrum. Even post op from all the surgeries I am still having back pain. That stays at about a 4 when I'm medicated, a 7 when I'm not.

The problem that makes me feel like I'm losing my mind is in my left leg. The pain shoots down my "hamstring" like normal sciatic pain does. It branches out though. At about 4 inches above my knee the pain starts to wrap around the lower part of my quad and into my knee. The knee pain is unbearable. It causes me to fall because it just goes out on me or the pain floors me. The pain then continues down my calf (which is a much more minor pain thank God) & stops at my foot. I have CONSTANT numb/tingling in my foot. I could step on a lego and not feel it. If I move it a certain way I get feeling but it's a tingling like my foot is asleep. It's maddening. The Neurontin helps tremendously as far as that goes.

My soon to be EX doctor recently cut me off of my Percocet which I had been on for 2 years straight. He has decided I have "opiate induced hyperanalgesia". The info I've read on this diagnosis says most patients pain is reduced after they're taken off of their pain meds. Well, I'm wondering when THAT will be. In the meantime he has told me to go to the ER for pain management. He's a jerk... luckily I work IN the ER so I have a report with several of the doctors who are treating me. While they can't give me a script for narcotics they have written for tramadol & they give me a shot. Most days I struggle through with my 10mg Butrans patch, tramadol, and advil along with the neurontin. That's it. My pain stays at a 7. When it starts to get worse, if I move wrong or fall, I go into the ER. It's ridiculous. (Yes I AM getting a new doc for a second opinion)

Forgive the rant, that wasn't what this was supposed to be about. My question is- am I having symptoms that are unusual for severe sciatic pain? The only thing I can think of to justify the pain around my knee is if I had L3 damage but the last time I had a MRI was a couple months ago and it was not indicated to be problematic. I'm so confused.

• I have dodgy knees, I wrecked them when I was young and foolish and swam too much breaststroke. They sometimes just give way on me. I wonder sometimes if the knee problems caused my back problems. Anyway, I wondered if you have had your knee checked out. Maybe the knee thing is a seperate issue?

I know that my knees hurt worse when my back is worse because they have to take a lot of the strain - all that squatting rather than bending really takes it out of them! Although, to be fair, I rarely bend anymore! I have found that when I can exercise and strengthen the muscles around the knees they hurt less. Maybe that is why I have less knee pain when my back is better because I can exercise more?

I hope you find some answers soon.
  • I'm new and I have been reading posts from others who have had micro disectomy surgery and it sounds like very few people have had success I was told yesterday that I needed to have the surgery sooner rather than later. I have has back and leg issues for many years now my first MRI was in 2006 and at that time the dr I was seeing said there was a small herniated disc in my L5 S1, pain came and went for years. Last summer 2011 pain was so bad I was begging for an MRI but my insurance kept refusing. Finally had MRI in April was told by my dr thati have "severe posterior disc protrusion with spinal narrowing" sent me to Cleveland clinic for evaluation this was yesterday. I'm nervous about the surgery since most people on here say it didn't really help or only helped a little or that there pain was worse after the surgery. I would love to here from anyone who has had sucess with this surgery or even that has been diagnosed with the same problems as me. Today I woke up with horrific calf pain for the first time feels like muscle spasms and burning. Had my first round of cortisone shots on Thursday and ow it seems like in more pain or at least a different type of pain with the burning and spasms also my heel startedt hurt right after i had the cortisone shots has anyone eer experienced any thing like this?
  • I had success with my micro. I injured myself again 2 years after my micro. I say do it before you end up with more damage & additional surgeries.
  • Really? That's great thanks for replying I really appeeciate it your the only one so far. I'm just so nervous about the surgery. Everyone says I'm too young to have these kind of back problems (29) so I'm worried what the future holds. How was your recovery time? I'm worried because I have a son who loves to be held.
  • I had my micro a month after I turned 30. I was fine by Halloween which was 3 months I think. I have 2 kids & 2 nephews who needed attention. My job at the time required me to stand and bend a lot (i was a blackjack dealer) so I really had to make sure I was ok. I was back on my horse by the spring. Seriously, after my micro I was 100%!
  • I was 100% 6 months post op. I was back to work as a blackjack dealer, standing and bending over tables 3 months post op. I have 2 kids &2 nephews who needed me do I get it but if you follow the docs instructions you will be fine!
  • Hi, sorry to hear the cortisone shots didn't work - I tried these, and got 3 months relief if I was lucky, otherwise not much use and too much cortisone not good for you anyway. I had L3-5 fusion in 1999 (age 56), this worked really well but I didn't look after it quite as I should, fell last March and injured back generally. MRI showed bony spurs and bulging disc at L2-3. Had a laminectomy and fusion 7 days ago (age 69). To do this, the Doc had to remove previous hardware in order to stabilise all the levels. It was a long op, about 5 1/2 hours. So now fused from L2-5. Unfortunately had a bad reaction to either anaesthetic or painkillers, was quite sick (nausea, cramps) for a couple of days but apart from that things are looking good. My right foot which had been about half numb and starting to flop seems to have full feeling, just one sore patch which feels more like a small bruise. the 'ouch' in my back with every step has gone. I am of course stiff and sore at the operation site, but the internal pain has gone and I am walking without too much discomfort one week after the op (with a back brace) so am very hopeful about this.
    On my own experience, suggest
    1. Go see more than one doctor and ask for an assessment - they can only tell so much from MRIs etc. and some may interpret differently or have a different option to suggest.
    2. If surgery is the choice, have it while you are as young and fit as you can be - don't delay until you get much worse and the op is more complicated, or something else goes wrong with your health.

All my fusions involved laminectomy (removal of bone protruding into spinal canal) and removal of parts of discs which were protruding. The first op was by an orthopedic surgeon, the latest by a neurosurgeon and the techniques have improved. The hardware is necessary as removing the bone destabilises the spine.

Best wishes with yours
  • I'm having a micro discectomy on June 20th at the Cleveland Clinic. I have a herniated disc at my L5. I've had pain for almost 2 years and can't take it anymore. I have heard from a lot of people who had had a great outcome from the surgery. I have had 5 ESI's and they have helped alot except for my 5th one but I think it's because I had to wait so long in pain to get the 5th one. I wish they would last forever.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,367
    Peroneal nerve .... you may find some answers and similarites there. I have similar issues that were diagnosed as Peroneal nerve injury.

Owey! Ouch! Yuk!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)