Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

four weks post op

Mimi99MMimi99 Posts: 22
Hi everyone
I am four weeks post op from an L5 S1 microdisectomy and not doing well. The herniation that was removed had calcified so he had to chop away at it. I wake in the morning with severe lower back pain. I an shaking I am in so much pain. I have to eat some crackers take 2 percocets and wait 20 minutes before I can even think of getting out of bed. I called doctor yesterday and explained my pridicimate. It was the pa and she said you know this surgery was for leg pain not back pain. I was like what the heck. What kind of answer is that? She said to try s medrol dosepack and tell the physical therapist to work more on core strengthening. They might do a nerve test to see if the nerve is still inflamed. I was fine resting for two weekd when pa tild me to go back to my regular routines and did a couple loads of laundry now dying in pain. I am at a loss here. I probably should have not done the laundry. I ride a horse and i fear i will never be able to do that again. Anti.e else have these issues?

• its VERY early in your recovery ,,many people forget that spinal surgery however small is major and recovery will take much longer than a simple arm brake for instance ..yes you will be in pain {maybe for many years] but i would say give it time ans done beat yourself up about it ..if you are in pain then see your doctor and sort out some better pain killers .{speaking from 16 years experience and 3 operation and countless painful procedures!]
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Thank you so much for your comment. I am the backbone to this family and Di everything. This weekend I had the kids helping a lot. My seven year old nipped and loved it. He loved the swiffer and wants to do it every day and my 13 yr old did the gardening and laundry. I still overdue it but I am learning to deligate and rest. Started a medrol dose pack sat an feel 50% better, but then don't. I go outside and drag some tree limbs to the street and now I am suffering. I have to stop. I am also fearful that physicians will stop giving me refills for pain meds. That brings a great anxiety. I don't think I am better enough to be off them at this point and what will I do if they say no. I need to start thinking of me and my health starting right now! Or I will not get better and get back to work.