Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ice manIIce man Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Chronic Pain
Four months after my third back surgery (L4L5 fusion)I am still in sevre pain so I had another MRI and now my NS said I have herniated L5/S1 and will have to have another surgery ALIF. I am devestated, this means the end of my career and I am only 45.

• ANOTHER ALIF one was enough for me .you poor thing
    wishing you all the luck
    tony {UK{
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Did you re-injure yourself, or did your doctor not verify the extent of your injuries before your surgery? Before you leap into another fusion, please have your whole spine checked and then check out the new procedure they have for injecting a compound into the space between the vertebrae to replace the disk material. I've had a three-level fusion and yes, it was hell to recover from, but I do not think I would ever allow them to do another fusion on me. Once was enough.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    when things were getting REAL serious for me. I was already treating it conservatively with anti inflammatories and ice. And had the opportunity to cut my hours back to rest it more.
    But it was time to do more. And surgery just wasn't going to work for me.We couldn't take any kind of narcotics. And were randomly tested. I needed to get 7 more years paid into my pension, and properties I was paying down fast.
    I knew some other guys with problems similar to mine. And they said the epidural was working for them.
    So I decided to give it a try. Man, it worked great for me. In the beginning I only needed to get 1 every 6 mo. Then after awhile I needed 3 a year. And that worked for quite a while also. Then it was 4 a year. And that was max he could do. So it was pure gut till I just couldn't do it any more. But I did get my time in!
    So in the long run. That P.M.. Dr. saved my ass. the rest after that was just bad bad history!
    Maybe they would work for you??? I hope something dose! Cause when you can no longer work the journey gets pretty dicey.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I am going to try the P.M. stuff first. I had the diagnostic done for the Raido stuff where they burn the nerve and I did get some relief from that, so maybe it will work for a while. Before my last surgery the Dr told me because of my DDD there would be a chance this would happen. After the last surgery I asked my NS if he had fixed the L5S1 while he was in there and he said at the time it was not bad enough so he couldn't do it. I didn't reinjure it, just the fusion secured L4L5 and it put all the pressure on 5S1. Could you PM the info on the injections you were talking about? Thanks, Chad
  • Chad, so sorry to hear what's happening with L5S1

So wish you could get another surgeons assessment, but see you're 6 mos post-op; it's usually yr or more for connecting with any other surgeons > ?

Good to hear suggestions of injection option - - hoping that this can be available to you.

Please don't get the "end of the road" destination picture in your mind, try to stay in "one day at a time" one stepping stone at a time I call it...I can tell you this my C-Spine is like you L-Spine, causing you havoc and needing second surgeries (12 hrs and not good prognosis and very difficult recovery with just the one (posterior approach, rods and wires 5 levels) - - the "end of the road" picture hit me over and over for months, but ya know it's not panning out as bad (severely disabled how do you say "quad") my reality is not there - - one step at a time.... and it keeps you in the now allowing for options that may surprise you...

It continually does me...one step at a time.

Let us know what you find out about injections option and what unfolds for ya, hang in their Spiney Warrior...okay

• Wow, sure sorry to hear that Ice Man. I can certainly sympathize with you at 45 not ready to be retired. I have similiar fears, with l5-s1 pars defect and formainal stenosis, needing a TLIF. Scares the living hell out of me, and what my future will hold.

Curious, what is your career that you won't be able to do anymore?? Also, I see you began surgery in 2010, what started all this, did you have an accident or herniation or something. I've read where several folks have had two level fusions, which essentially is what you would require now I believe, and I don't think that's the end of the line for them.
  • Cactus, I am in Law Enforcement. I work drugs on the Interstate and I wear a gun belt and all the equipment which I know can't be good. It will be hard to keep fighting bad guys. Other than 5 years in the military the last 21 have been in law enforcement. While I was in military I had DDD in my knees and back and the Dr. told me when I was 23 years old that by the time I reached 45 I would have the spine and knees of an 80 yr old. Boy was he right. I have enough time to retire and if I ever get straighted out I am sure I will be able to find a part time job doing something. I am trying to stay positive but it is going to be life changing. Thanks and good luck to you. Chad
This discussion has been closed.