Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CheekyCCheeky Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wrote a long intro post a while back ( http://www.spine-health.com/forum/newbies-welcome/new-member-introductions/hi-new-posterlong-time-lurker-florida ), and finally saw the neurosurgeon yesterday (5/25/12).

The appointment didn't go as planned, I expected to talk about lumbar & SI joint surgeries & possible fusion, but during my exam by the PA, she noticed that my reflexes are "hyper", did a few little diagnostic tests with me, and based on those tests and the fact that my hands/arms have been going numb/I've had the dropsies since my accident in October, it was decided that I need a cervical spine MRI on Tuesday, and another appt with the PA & neurosurgeon on Wednesday. They think that I have a serious spinal cord compression in the cervical region, and if they're right, I will need to undergo ACDF surgery before they begin to address the lumbar & SI joint problems, or they would run the risk of paralyzing me from the neck down during intubation.

I was and am okay with the idea of fusion in the lumbar & SI joints - I've had months to make myself comfortable with it,and do lots of research/prepare myself, but the idea of having my neck fused/possibility of paralysis is completely freaking me out - it wasn't within the realm of anything we expected, and it feels like it came out of no where (it DOES explain the dropsies and numbness in my arms, but I just assumed those were the results of a pinched nerve/something relatively minor & not scary!).

I trust my neurosurgeon fully, and know that I'm in good hands, but... what am I in for? Unvarnished truth please - if I need ACDF, I'd like the unsugarcoated truth about recovery and what my life will be like - will I be able to turn my head after fusion? Will it affect normal, everyday stuff that I take for granted now? I guess I just want to be able to wrap my mind around it so that I don't have unrealistic expectations.

Any information, support or guidance will be greatly appreciated :)
(quick background - I'm 33, slipped on a wet flight of stairs on 10/31/11 & essentially blew out all of the facets of the lumbar & part of the thorasic spine, both SI joints, tore a few discs, etc, and apparently also managed to screw up my neck. I don't like to do anything halfway lol I've had 3 diff steroid injections, facet blocks, 5level bilateral RFA, & exhausted all conservative treatment with no lasting benefit full info is on the thread referenced above)

again, thanks for reading through, and I appreciate any insight/support/guidance any of you can provide!
Slipped on a wet stair case the morning of 10/31/11, landed flat on my tush & blew up my spine & both SI joints.
3 level ACDF C4-C7 7/11/12 (collapsed discs & severe cord compression)
lumbar fusion to be scheduled once healed from ACDF