Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unwritten Restrictions?

Registered_UserRRegistered_User Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:03 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hello fellow SCSers and SCS hopefuls of course!

I cannot find this info anywhere as a question that has been asked or as a subject that was mentioned by chance. If it does in fact exist and I simply cannot find it, I do of course apologize for the repeat.

Now I don't know if this question is one that applies to those of you with spine hardware, FBS, fusions etc. because my origin of pain that led to my SCS is unrelated to the 'typical' spinal areas so I have no knowledge of those problems. Whether good or not, and this post is not meant to stir up a debate on the dangers of the action I'm questioning, I am a back popper from WAY back. I am one of those who can put their thumbs on either side of the spine, lean back, and no few than 6 pops can be heard and felt. It's always been an incredible relief and I have never experienced any pain. So, now that I had the perm implant done, I haven't popped my back because it seems crazy to do it. I have percutaneous leads if that information makes any difference. It has been very difficult to abstain from popping my back for these last 5+ weeks and I really miss how good it feels. So my questions are:

1. My back has popped on its own several times and it totally scares me! Am I in danger of disconnecting, crimping, damaging, etc. my leads when this happens?

2. If I'm not in danger of needing a revision can I purposely pop it?

3. If its just dangerous until they are more likely than not to be anchored in, can I resume my 'bad habit' then?

4. How long did you follow the restrictions? 6 or 8 weeks, and how are we supposed to know which milestone applies to us?!

Finally, most of you are aware I'm making every effort to return to work, and I have hit another snag. The medical assistants at my PM clinic were 100% willing to send me back to work without ANY restrictions. Apparently there are none listed in my chart! My rep however verified that I need to follow my restrictions for at least another 1-3 weeks. The assistant was not specific enough in my note, and wrote:

No bending, twisting, lifting, or reaching.

So it looks like I'm not allowed to lift anything at all, and my boss' boss has informed me that they cannot accommodate me because it doesn't say 'more than 5 pounds' on it. I'm so upset! I now have to wait until Tuesday to give my work a new note and I'm unsure how to have it written that covers my restrictions but allows me to work at my desk. I'm very proud of myself for admitting I need restrictions at all, that has to show I've had some personal growth and I'm hoping it helps my reputation for not listening to medical professionals and returning to work before I really should.

Thank you for reading!

Kat
advertisement

Comments

• I guess that some of the answers to your questions are related to where in your spine the SCS leads were put and how they were anchored. This information would need to come from your installing surgeon. He would also be the one to discuss your back popping deal. Yes, it does sound like a bad habit that is not a normal function of the back. Kinda the same as people cracking their knuckles, which I have read is pretty bad for the joints later in life.

What is wrong with your back that you are in need of a SCS? The way the restrictions were written is pretty straight forward to me. Your boss wants a number of pounds on the form? Do you normally lift things for your job? Good for you trying to adhere to your restrictions. That can be very hard to do.
  • Just sharing my experience with you and not trying to encourage or discourage you to or from doing anything of the sort. (how's that for a jumble of words)

My neurosurgeon told me that if I get relief from popping my back, then do what it takes to get some relief.

I have two percutaneous leads and I pop my neck and back with them all the time.

My doc said I needed to adhere to the restrictions of no BLTR for 6 weeks, yet my rep said wait 8 weeks. Just to be safe I waited 8 weeks.

The first day after 8 weeks, I was on a plane flying to an underwater video shoot. I had to lug all my camera equipment and dive equipment. I had to manage everything without missing a beat. We did several dives for the shoot and then of course I had to manage things for the return trip. So there was A LOT of BLTR. I was tired and sore afterwards, but elated at my new found freedom!

"C"
  • Like I said befor I found this I am not advertising anything. I copy and paste things that I find help people.
    Gentile, MD said:
    If a patient has a spinal cord stimulator implanted, it is possible that the leads can migrate during the spinal adjustment, therefore it is not advisable. Lead migration can cause the loss of stimulation to the patient. If the leads migrate (move), revision or replacement of the leads would be required to "re-capture" stimulation.
    Gentile, MD said:
    chiropractic manipulation may cause the lead to move - consult your surgeon first.
    Figure if they don't recommend u seeing a chiro then popping ur back would not b a good choice.
  • Hi
    My instructions always were post recovery no lifting over 8 kg
    I have a restriction for work for 5 kgs
    I have always found the reps, dr's etc very helpful and answered any questions
  • Sorry forgot to ad, was also told no physio or pressing on the spine
    I think always be guided by your own Fr and rep
advertisement