Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any luck with sacrowedgy or sacroiliac belt?

MusikamoleMMusikamole Posts: 17
edited 04/16/2014 - 8:56 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Has anyone gotten relief from SI Joint pain and sciatica using the sacrowedgy or a sacroiliac belt? I have tried so many things, seen different kinds of doctors and chiropractors, and am running out of ideas.

I have had right SI Joint pain for well over ten years, and it has gotten worse starting in October, 2011, to where I am on temporary disability. Sitting/walking is impossible without a lot of motrin and hydrocodone. To get some extra relief, I distract myself with swimming.

I have had one steroid injection in the SI joint, but got no relief. The pain is always centered on the joint, to where it will hurt more if I press on it. Sometimes, the joint is so sensitive that I can’t even lie down, because any degree of pressure, no matter how small, will make the pain worse.

MRI's of both hip joints and lower spine show nothing. I am not sure if the spine MRI looks at the SI Joint. Does it? With nothing showing on the MRI’s, the theory is that my pain is from soft tissue problems.

I’ve had several sessions of PT over the years, and in the last 14 sessions my strength has increased a lot in my glutes and legs, but my flexibility has increased only a little, and my pain has not decreased at all.

Regarding flexibility, when the therapist stretches my right hip flexor, the pain increases a lot. One time, the right hip flexor stretch caused a strong, sharp pain, and I couldn’t get off of the table. My right leg locked up.

So, my therapist has stopped trying to stretch my hip flexors for now. When I stretch my hamstring and piriformis muscle on the right side, it increases the pain, but nothing like the hip flexor stretch. My left side is quiet, with no pain problems from exercising or stretching.

I tried a back support belt once while doing some work around the house, strapped it on real tight, and something quite strange happened. The pain I felt in my right SI Joint and down the right leg switched to the left side!
This got me thinking more about the position of my sacrum and ilium bones, since there is a sacrum cushion in the back support belt.

I understand that tight muscles can rotate the hip bones (ilium) forward or back, causing SI Joint pain, and sciatic pain, both of which I have, so I am going to try a sacrowedgy and a sacroiliac belt, and would like to know if anyone on this forum has had any success with either of these.

I also will make a trip to the spine center at **EDITED to remove facility name ** and see what the doctors there have to say about my problem.

Last, how much pain can one be in with SI Joint Dysfunction? For me, it has become almost impossible to live with, as I can’t work, nor do most of the things I used to do. Can one small joint cause this big of a problem?

Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.

• I read that the only way to be sure of injecting the SI Joint is by using a fluoroscope. My doctor didn't use one, so maybe he could have missed the joint? I read that the joint is deep. I got no relief from that injection, even though all of my symptoms point to the SI Joint.

I didn't know that the joint was deep in the body, since when I press on and around the dimple in my back, it hurts like crazy, and doctors have always told me that when I press on that spot on my lower back, and say it hurts right there, they say I am pointing to the SI Joint.
  • Several people have looked at my topic. I am surprised that no one has commented on the sacrowedgy or sacroiliac belt. Perhaps this is the wrong forum for conservative treatments for SI Joint pain?

Anyway, if anyone has experienced any relief from the sacrowedgy or sacroiliac belt, I would like to know. Also, any other conservative treatments that have been helpful in fighting SI joint pain, please post them! Thank you!

Update on my hip flexors

As I stated above, when either I or a therapist stretches my right hip flexor, it makes the pain worse in my right SI Joint. My therapist told me that this could be do to the ilium being pulled past neutral, to an anterior tilt, thus straining my long posterior ligament that connects to the SI Joint. That is the theory.

I sure would like to know how to stretch all the muscles that are related to my SI Joint, without causing serious pain. Any ideas? I have tried yoga, and that seems to be the most gentle approach.
  • I've tried one of these belts and tried wearing it at work. (I'm an RN). It really didn't help much and was really in the way for me to do my work. I have worn it after injections to help keep the medicine in the space to help make the shot more effective.

• maryelleninnjmmaryelleninnj Posts: 101
    edited 04/16/2014 - 8:58 AM
    I have posted several times on this site in the last month, and responses have not been forthcoming like they were before. I recently posted my extreme relief in using the new Serola belt. Have been using it about two weeks, and it's helping a lot. Small investment (under $30), and quite a payoff. I'm trying to wear it 24/7 for a few months. I am walking longer and faster than I have in many months. Like you, have had several sessions of PT. At first it helped, but not anymore. Had my first SI joint injection the day after Memorial Day. Helped for a few days, but the steroid never kicked in. It was done sedated, and with a fluroscope. There goes my $150 copay..... I sure hope you find some relief soon. Sorry I didn't try the belt a long time ago! Lots of support also available (and really quick feedback) in the EDITED Good luck.

You are not allowed to post advertisements or commercial solicitations, whether in the form of text links, banners or other methods.
    The moderators reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderators reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

From http://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-rules
  • ValPVValP Posts: 2
    edited 04/15/2014 - 9:16 AM
    I am new to this forum but I joined because I wanted to tell anyone with SI or piriformis problems that the SI belt has given me tremendous relief! I've had intermittent SI joint dysfunction for a couple of years now. Wore the belt early on with good relief. Had a long period of time that it wasn't necessary to wear it, just a twinge now and then. About two weeks ago I developed severe hip, groin and low back pain. Difficult to walk or lift my leg when going up stairs. My husband was telling me it was piriformis syndrome. This morning out of desperation because I could not walk without significant pain in my butt, I put on my SI belt and the pain was lessened immediately. It went from about a 7 to a 2 on a scale of 0(no pain) to 10 (worst). I am not pushing a brand but the belt I have is a Serola. I think there are many on the market. But I am thrilled with todays result. Hope this helps someone out there.
  • My PT gave me a SI Joint belt. It has helped a lot. It is inconvenient with clothing (especially lately with little exercise and not going to the gym). I think with the other treatment, PT, rest an meds it has helped. me. It feels more secure/stable if that makes sense. It was worth it.
  • rowgirlrrowgirl Posts: 1
    edited 09/30/2015 - 11:19 PM
    Musikamole-- I do not know if you've gotten any help. I treat sacroiliac issues on a daily basis for 10 years. This area is very misunderstood. You should never work to stretch your hip flexor. Sometimes soft tissue work in this area can provide temporary relief, but I consider that a last ditch effort.
    One example: Pain in the front of your right hip is typically caused by anterior rotation of the opposite side, --the Left. This is true about 90% of the time. Someone truely looking at your alignment that knows what points of measure to use should have no trouble determining this. There is a small possibility if you are more out of alignment in sitting than a standing position then this becomes a little more complicated. Again that's why a knowledgable professional should be involved. That can be hard to find for this area of the body.
    If your pelvis is rotated froward on the Left, your left PSIS would be elevated when lying on your stomach. Your Left leg is typically longer and your hip internal rotation would be tighter on the Right. My first approach would be to use the glutes and hamstrings on the left to pull the pelvis posteriorly out of anterior alignment. Having a complete correction is key to being pain free. However if you are in agony (this is possible), any partial correction is likely to help relieve the intensity and allow you to be more comfortable.
    Best of luck with all.
    For others SI belts typically are not helpful unless you correct your alignment first. Otherwise they hold you out of place-- maintain the misalignment. This is what is causing the pain after all. Sometimes they help people with that are very unstable in this area. Again something that must be used correctly to help and requires a little more instruction and involvement on the patient to be fully effetive.
    MRIs do not show this area well. X-rays do. You can see the rotation on x-rays easily, few radiologists comment on it but I love when they do. I wish this was more a part of their studies because it is so common.

Forum Rule:
    5.06 You agree not to post information that is considered to be formal medical advice.

Your post contains wording that may be considered as giving medical advice. It is very important that everyone understand that
    there are no medical professionals on this site, so therefore any comments are solely opinions based on personal experiences.
    They should never been taken as medical fact.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/30/15

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
This discussion has been closed.