Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need to Gain Weight

retes231rretes231 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Help! I've been trying to gain weight for years. I always eat as many as I could. I've never had a great body all my life. I'm always thin. Does anyone have a diet plan for gaining weight?

• Breakfast – the most important meal of the day - Eat as much as you can at breakfast time like Milky product, boiled eggs, Green veggie etc.. Protein Drinks - Protein drinks containing 30-40g of protein that are also low in sugar are the ones to go for. Lunch and dinner is important - Which should contain all green vegetables salads and rice and all.
  • Because my husband suffers from it. So I'd love to hear about some success stories. I know in my hubby's case, lack of appetite is a big factor. Having gone through that myself with surgery, reminded me that forcing oneself to eat when you don't feel like it is not very easy to do!
    I am who I am!
  • Breakfast gives you a chance to start your day with a healthy and nutritious meal,
    which may reduce your risk of heart disease
    So do not skip breakfast it may be more important than you think.....
  • Increase your calorie in take, eat a lot of foods rich in protein like meat, you may try to eat fatty foods but only in a small amount. Do not skip any meal, eat at least 3 meals a day. there are also supplements that could help in weight gain, take vitamins that could help in increasing the appetite.
  • Take more protein diet...and if you already tried all then you should consult to a dietician

• As our lifestyle is changing very fast, we hardly have the time to ascertain the quality of food we take everyday. Eat healthy diet and never skip your meal. Eat healthy foods e,g eggs, meat, fish, veggies, fruits. Start getting normal sleep.
  • SaraEdwardSSaraEdward Posts: 11
    edited 06/04/2013 - 5:00 AM
    Wow most people at forums are searching for ways to lose weight, and you are searching how to gain weight. It's simple take healthy foods, not use market food. Eat fruits after lunch. And most important thing is to take a meal three times within a day.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/06/2013 - 6:50 PM
    smaller, more frequent meals , combining proteins, carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables all will add healthy weight. There are specific caloric supplements available in the pharmacy sections of all pharmacies, to add calories to one's diet. Ensure is one of those available that adds good nutricious calories to help someone gain and maintain their weight.
  • My children had a very difficult time gaining weight when they were toddlers. This was the pediatrician's suggestions (so I know you are an adult, but it did help with my children). Foods they suggested for gaining weight healthily, avocado, whole milk yogurt (which I found the "Yo Baby" is organic and whole milk and tastes like regular yogurt). Whole milk (flavored in necessary, my kids liked the strawberry syrup), Nuts of pretty much any type. Most of the other suggestions we were told too (small regular meals, always have a "snack" on hand (don't leave home without one) in case you do feel like you can eat that moment doesn't pass before you get the chance), peanut butter on whole grains, veggies sauteed in olive oil. I can't think of anything else, but they did not suggest "sugary foods". Good luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • i have a same problem.i am also always thin and i am also want to gain weight.
  • You can use fresh vegetables and fruits daily and don't eat more. It's best diet plan for you. Do some exercises daily.

• ENSURE, I drank it for a few weeks lost op to get protein and nutrients and without wanting to, I gained 10 lbs.
    Didnt realize it has loads of fat grams, you will gain weight, try it

Now I cant seem to loose those crummy 10 pounds
  • Hey I am Rahat. I am new member. Now I am going to make my first post. I want to increase my weight. I am 21 years old and my weight is 40 kg and my height is 5.3. I want to increase my weight 10 kg before I am going to be 25 years old. Please give me some good advice to make it possible. Thanks!
  • RickyMartinRRickyMartin Posts: 4
    edited 11/30/2013 - 12:48 PM
    For gaining weight protein is important. Drink protein shake and eat high calories food. Eggs,milk,meat,chicken and more vegetables are good for this purpose.

Edited by Jellyhall on 30/11/2013

Please note that it is against the rules of the forum to post a link to another site. Please refrain from doing this.
  • Oh my, not making light of your problem at all
    Really and truly
    But I would give a millon bucks if a doctor told me to gain weight.
    I will tell you to eat all of the goodies that I crave.

Gee someone mentioned protein shakes?
    I did not know they put weight on!

No wonder I gained weight after my surgery, I was drinking Ensure for nutrition.

DRINK ENSURE that did it for me right away
    I guess its tge FAT in the Ensure that puts weight on fast

Really and truly I am nit at all making fun of your problem
    I could just think of so mant fattening things I would live to eat right now

Have you tried milkshakes? Ice cream, heavy cream instead of milk, and the ice cream is the ones with a high fat content like
  • i thing that you must eat very well ...
  • do what i do look in the mirror, don't eat for a week and i guarantee you will gain weight. i do all of the time. i have fat genes in my chromosomes.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • When I needed to gain weight, I relied on Krispy Kreme Glazed Doughnut.....26 carbs p/doughnut. I was living on them!!! :-)

Many people don't believe this, but according to my dietician, it is as hard to gain weight as it is to loose it & I am living proof of this statement. In the beginning when I was able to eat on my own again, I could only manage to gain 1 maybe 2 pounds p/month.
  • oh bless you taren i wish i had your metabolsm
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Is to eat more calories than your burning off-Increase calorie intake basically
    I wouldn't go totally for fatty foods or just carb foods because you need to gain the weight in a healthy way!
    So a mixture of carbs,healthy fats, and protein.
    The meal replacement shakes are a good idea to usually full of calories!
    Best of luck :)
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • After searching so much finally I got one forum, where I can get some suggestions on putting on weight. Even I am facing this problem since so many years and feed up with the skinny structure. After reading all your comments I got some guidance and I have decided to follow it. Thank you.
  • KristaBurke01KristaBurke01 Posts: 18
    edited 07/02/2014 - 10:30 PM
    I can see some of the helping replies to gain weight. I have seen my some of my friends gained weight as they were too thin. I would suggest you follow this routine.

1. Go to gym 5 days a week for 1 to 1:30 hours.
    2. Take milk twice a day (Once in the morning and once before going to bed.)
    3. Never skip breakfast and include eggs, bananas, cheese, beans, peanut butter and some fruits like apple, oranges, kiwifruit, strawberries etc.
    4. You can include chicken, fish, meat items in your lunch and dinner, keep other stuff in lunch and dinner normal.
    5. You can have some bananas, peanuts, sprouts etc in evening snacks (supper).
  • IamMonkeyDLuffyIIamMonkeyDLuffy Posts: 43
    edited 07/12/2014 - 1:00 AM
    I’m 21, so far my body is in a good shape somehow. This is are my few ways to gain weight. I eat 3 large meals and 3 healthy snacks a day (including dairy, this will sky roof you to gain weight). And of course, exercise, carry some heavy loads to gain some muscle at the same time, weight.
    "When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It’s when… they are forgotten."
This discussion has been closed.