Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days Post Op - ADCF

Monica70MMonica70 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all!

I wanted to post my experience since this site was extremely helpful when I was researching all the good, bad and the ugly of ACDF. My surgery was on May 23rd and I must say my experience was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I went into surgery with the plan of C6-C7 and ended having repairs of C5-C7. I stayed in the hospital for 1 night and left the next day on my terms around 7pm. I came home and I will say that sleeping in the bed was the worst part of the recovery. I took my bandage off after 2 nights and now only have the steri-strips with the Aspen collar. I've reduced my pain meds (oxycodone) from 2 tablets every 4 hours to 2 tablets once to twice a day. I think I can change to tylenol shortly with no problems. I do have a scratchy throat, but it's tolerable to swallow meds and foods 3 days post surgery.

My current challenges considering:

Muscle spasms

Should you have any questions, feel free to ask. I omitted lots of the details, but wanted you to know what my current state is and what you could possibly experience.

Stay blessed and I wish you all a speedy recovery!

• ACDF - 2 level..sorry for the mispell
  • My surgery was Jan 09. 2009. Glad to hear it all went well for u, did u have instant pain relief or are u still working threw ur original pain?
  • Hi Candy

I did get instant relief in my neck region, however I still have some discomfort in my arm which was the other half of the pain I had experienced prior to surgery. I'll probably go to my chiropractor for some tension relief and see if that helps.

I'm sorry to hear of the pain you've had. I was initially told that it doesn't guarantee relief if nerve damage is so far gone. Unfortunately not all the pain can be reversed, but I would be very interested in hearing what a neurologist would say...
  • bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
    sounds like things are going relatively smoothly. I so appreciate your sharing details on recovery for those of is who have similar surgeries in the near future. I just got an early Aug surgery date for a 2-level ACDF (C5-7). It's reassuring to hear from people like you about recovery. Now things seem more real somehow. When did you get discharged?

2-level ACDF (C5-7) 8/6/12
    3 PLIFs: 2003, 2005, 2008
    PLIF L1-3 6/13
    ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
    PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08