Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op microdiscectomy and doing well

PTpostmicroPPTpostmicro Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 4 weeks and 2 days post op L4-5 microdiscectomy. I have been posting weekly to report my progress. Week 4 and 2 days I have intermittent mild discomfort in my left foot, between 2-4/10 but no longer have the severe sciatica pain in my left buttock or the tension along my leg that previously prevented me from doing simple things like shaving my legs or tying my shoes without pain. I went back to work at 2 1/2 weeks, part time and modified duties, since I have a moderately physical type job. I am 42 and prior to surgery working out in the gym 4-5 x per week and prior to symptoms worsening cycling on a road bike 38 miles on level surfaces and switchbacks. I hope to get back to the gym at 6 weeks focusing on treadmill walking building up to the elliptical and stair climber with lots of focus on core training avoiding any flexion or rotation. I told myself even though the surgeon said I can get back to cycling in 8 weeks I will wait 3 to 6 months to let the disc heal fully. I would love to hear about anyone who has a very fit and active lifestyle who has had a microdiscectomy and returned to sports or activities, as well as anyone who has had a successful outcome.

• Just wanted to say that I'm very happy your recovery is going well AND I think you are very wise to give yourself 3-6 months to let the disc heal.

Good luck on the continued healing.
  • Thanks DNice. It is going very well so far. First time pain free in over 6 years. I'm hoping it stays this way once I get back to all of my regular lifestyle.
  • Just an update, today is my 5 wk mark. I haven't started therapy yet and I've been back at work part time with modification of some of my duties. I have been pretty much free of any pain the last 4 or 5 days, including any nerve discomfort in my foot i still felt intermittently at week 4. So far it's like the dr told me. I have been doing nothing more than walking up to 45 min aside of being on my feet on and off at work for about 4 to 5 hours. I can't wait to start doing some core exercises and general strengthening but I plan to ease back into it week 6-8 progressing to light resistane training refraining from and exercises that will load my spine. I feel my surgery has been a success. The true test will be if I can get back to my prior level of fitness including cycling and weight training. I plan to put off cycling for 3 to 4 months. Would love to hear anyone else's progression to their fitness regimine or input. Thanks