Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica, herniated discs, left arm pain....But what is the plantar heel pain from?

treedrnttreedrn Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Chronic Pain

I recently had MRI's showing bone spurs to the C5-C7 area. Also showed herniated disks to the L4-L5 and L5-S1, with compression the L4 nerve. Trust me, I already knew that was compressed. I have been unable to raise my left leg/foot more than 2 inches while standing, and not at all in a laying position. I also have crepitus to the T12/L1 area, although the typed report did not indicate cause of this, but the MRI of the Thoracic shows my spine "off-center" or the T12/L1 vertebra not even connected. My left foot to almost knee get ice cold, I don't feel it unless I touch it with my hand or other body part. I am doing ROM exercises to left foot when laying.

My concern is that starting 2 weeks ago, my left plantar heel has been painful. I have been unable to bear any weight on it due to it feels like pins and needles. Not just in the morning or when I first get up to walk around, but all the time any pressure is applied to the plantar heel. At first I thought it was Plantar Fasciitis, but now I am unsure, concerned it may circulation problems. I have had several patients present with P.F., and have heard their complaints. I have tried rest, ice, ROM, heat pad. Nothing helps.

I was also fired post my injury at work. My phys. asst. has not put me on any restrictions, and refused to sign off that I am unable to work. I have a post-MRI appt with her tomorrow. And I am seeking a new doctor, with the help of my attorney.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

• I'm glad you have an attorney now and hope you find a good Dr. to get you a referral to a Neurologist because of the numbness and tingling in your heel. Check out a Dermatome map online to see if your heal is covered under L4-L5-S1. I have had heel and last 2 toes issues with sciatica from my bulging & herniated discs.

I found great relief with Cymbalta as a nerve pain med but there are more like Lyrica and Amitriptyline. I also went and got good orthotics for my shoes because of the foot pain.

I was also on slow release narcotic for the pain also. I hope you get back from your work firing you after the back injury. I have long term benefits from work. Take care and welcome to Spine Health. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • could be a further extension of your sciatic pain, which can go all the way down the leg and into the foot. Plantar pain is generally from the lack of arch support in the foot. Are your shoes supportive enough for your feet? I don't know if you are male or female. News reports recently have detailed that not only are stiletto heels bad for women's feet, but those little ballet flats with no arch supports can be just as bad.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I have ankylosing spondylitis, and one of the areas that can get pain is the heel. I remember when I got it, it was hot and somewhat swollen. If it doesn't get better I'd recommend seeing a podiatrist for an assessment of your foot.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
This discussion has been closed.