Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie :-) Constant pain 2 years Need Help Please!

xrachelx2010xxrachelx2010 Posts: 1
Hi there
I am 23 years and my daughter is 27 months. When i was in labour i was given 8 epidurals which all failed (!) and from the instant my daughter was born ive had hellish sciatica which is getting worse every day!
Im starting to get depressed,i sleep roughly. 3 hours a night,cant walk longer than 10 mins without having to sit/go down on all fours, cant go back to work so struggling financially, my daughters missing out on toddler groups because they. all start in the morning and i cant stand up,have tn crawl for the first hour or so when i get up!
Ive had 2 MRI scans, one 18 months agm which showed 5. herniated discs in the lower spine,worst one at L4-L5 & a scan last week but still waiting on results@
i need help,is there anyting that will fix this!?

• I am so sorry you are experiencing the level of pain you are.
    I'm an OB nurse (have been for nearly 25 years), and although I've assisted with likely hundreds of epidurals, this was not my choice for labor pain relief.
    I've always had a fear of someone injecting something into my back. So, I had 3 labors and births, 1 with forceps, with no epidurals because of my innate fears.
    That being said, I've never seen 8 attempts at an epidural - I don't suppose you have any medical professionals citing a cause and effect between the epidurals and your current condition.
    Are you taking any meds right now?
    I started having sciatic pain last July - becoming increasingly worse through December; I had my first epidural injection in January and second one at the end of March.
    Currently I'm taking Neurontin - 1200 mg three times a day, and Cymbalta 60 mg at bedtime.
    My use of pain meds has decreased significantly and I can actually sleep on my affected side.
    Are you having any bladder or bowel involvement? - meaning can you control both functions?
    Do you have weakness in your leg?
    I'm seeing a neurosurgeon next week for a consult - likely just talking about the possibility of surgery in the future.
    The epidural injections of corticosteroids seem to work. The day after my first one, I was able to lift my left leg (the affected one) up in the shower.
    I walk for exercise, don't do anything else right now as I'm afraid the pain will return.
    I know with a little one you may not want to take much to sleep at night, but maybe you could try something a couple of nights per week to get some solid rest.
    Please keep me informed - that's what this forum is for - we help each other through the worst.
    Not very long ago, I was asking to have my leg cut off and wishing at night when the pain was the absolute worst, that I would just die right then.
    The pain was worse than anything I have ever felt/experienced before, including a forceps birth.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. You can PM if you wish.