Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on Please help Do I need a second opinion ( returned to doctor last week)

mcrosslinmmcrosslin Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone,
So I went back to my neuro this past week. I cant say it went bad but he really did not give me but two options. He said another surgery would be a very dangerous surgery due to risks of going back in so soon. I had my first surgery in July of 2011 so the adjacent disc failure happened pretty quick. I have heard of many more that have second even third or fourth. Not sure about the surgery but he sure did scare me with the things that could happen tore eshagus(spelling?)infections,non fusion etc. So he is setting up a meliogram ct procedure to see if it is a have to now kind of thing if not he is sending to a pain clinic which depresses me to no end. I am not a spring chick but at 44 looking at drugs for the rest of my life is sad.I also have bipolar with manic depression and anxiety. I also have a fused left ankle where they took my ankle out and fused my leg bone to my foot bones. No movement at all wear special shoes etc. I asked him well what am I going to be able to do to pay my bills and feed my family. He said well lets just wait and see how this test goes if it shows more than the mri I may go back in and try to fix this disc. So who knows. Has anyone had a myleogram ct and if so how does it work and did you have any pain during or after. Never even heard of this test. Thanks everyone for any comments and hope all have a great Memorial Day and God Bless all of our veterans and soldiers and military.

• What surgery did you have done in july of 2011 ?

Mylogram if you search the site will explain the test procedure, I had many mylogram and now days its not so bad as to what it was years ago, Some at times might get severe head ache if there is a slight spinal leak from the spinal tap,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Oh I am so sorry I had a one-level fusion. Now the adjoining disc above has failed and the MRI showed it is bulging at the point of rupture.
  • The mylogram should give a better image to see if that disc is compressing a nerve or not, I would not over worry for now, Other disc could posibly still heal and not cause serious issues, Not all buldge is serious and many have it and never need surgery,

Just wait and see what the mylogram shows and go from there,
    I would not rush in to anything else other then the mylogram for now,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • What level was your surgery?

And what are your main symptoms right now?

I have had 3 cervical fusion surgeries (all two levels)....

But each surgery was to immediately fix the ruptured discs and relieve the nerve pressure to prevent nerve death and permanent damage.

Surgery is NOT meant to fix chronic pain...If it does help...then that is always a bonus....but I, personally, would never have a surgery just for bone/muscle pain.

I was very lucky in that yes...it mostly took away all my nerve pain because they took that pressure off.

But I have constant muscle/scar tissue pain. I have been at this since age 32 and I'll be 44 in a few months.

I have been in Pain Management since my last fusion in late 2006.

I have worked with my Dr. to keep on the lowest possible levels of pain medication as yes...this is likely to last forever.

We also have a comprehensive plan to help keep my pain levels at a 5-7...

I do exercise daily, PT, Yoga/stretching, TENS unit, injections, massage, acupuncture, muscle relaxer, sleep medication, opiates, eat all Organic, aqua therapy, do NOT smoke (never have luckily), therapy/counseling....

Just to name some things...Everything works as a building block to put that small dent in pain. Nothing is going to make me pain free.

I have never had a Myelogram....They were able to tell everything from my MRIs..But know others who have and as mentioned...if done by a good Dr....it is uncomfortable but not absolutely terrible.

If they are mentioning surgery....I would be getting 2nd and even 3rd opinions and make sure they are done by a Board Certified Neurosurgeon....

That is the absolute best and most qualified Dr. to handle cervical spine issues...

Again...only you can decide with your Dr. what is going to be best for you...

I have other bulging discs and spine issues all throughout the rest of my spine but as I mentioned...unless it is emergent and will cause irreparable harm...I will do all I can to not have another surgery.

Good luck..