Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Day 18 Post Two Level ACDF

sissyjanessissyjane Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Im worse this week than I was last week. Is this normal? Last Tuesday my surgeon told me I could drive with my collar on and do a few things around the house. I tried, and I think I overdid everything. I'm not driving again for a while. It kills my neck and shoulders and scares me to death. I'm back to letting everybody else do everything... Dr. told me I can take my soft collar off at home, but now I'm afraid to do that too...

I'm mostly afraid that I won't fuse. I wouldn't let myself read anything negative before my surgery, but I have now, and I wish I hadn't.

I spent yesterday crying and feeling sorry for myself, which I hate!

• Maybe ask your Dr. about a bone growth stimulator if your afraid of you back not fusing. Might help to put your mind at ease.

Just because someone else on this forum has had issues doesn't mean that you will. Your still early in your recovery so give it some time. Most Dr.s don't tell you how long it will actually take for you to go back to what you were doing, if you even can.

Good luck.
  • I'll put it on the question list for my next appointment in five weeks.
  • bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
    a slow and extended period of recovery. I'm borrowing this from another topic post because it made so much sense to impatient me. You are so early in recovery and I've read elsewhere on the forums that day 17 or 18 can mark a hiccup in the overall recovery process. Patience is the word I plan to use during my first 8-12 weeks.

Please be patient and kind to yourself. And keep on posting as you go through your recovery so we know how you get on. I'll be looking.

Good luck,

2-level ACDF (C5-7) 8/6/12
    3 PLIFs (L2-5): 2003, 2005, 2008
    PLIF L1-3 6/13
    ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
    PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08
  • I'm doing much better now, and go to the surgeon on Monday for my second post-op appointment. I hope I'm fusing!