Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Neck pain

mike3767mmike3767 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My story goes like this, had a fusion C-5 & 6 in May of 2010. Ever since then, I've had neck pain. Between then and now, have had numerous steroid injections in March of last year had C-3-7 rhizotomy both sides and November last year C-2 rhizotomy both sides. It helped the pain short term. 3 months ago, had the C 3-7 rhizotomy repeated with some relief. I still have pain on my right side just behind the ear. I'm seeing a new pain doc next week. The pain feels like someone is standing on my head and also feels like someone is taking a fist and putting all there weight on it and pushing on the location of the pain. I'm getting really frustrated that they can't get me pain free. I'm 37 years old and in otherwise good shape. The pain is constant and regardless of how I move my neck, the pain stays in the same place which, correct me if I'm wrong, tells me its not muscle related. There are times it radiates to my right trap area. I've tried different types of muscle relaxers, nerve meds and pain meds. I've found hydrocodone to help but being on them on and off for 2 years, my body is building a tolerance and that somewhat scares me. Currently taking 20mg hydro 3 times a day. It takes the edge off but doesn't completely take away the pain.

I hope there are people out there that have been or are in my situation that I can talk too. Although I don't wish pain on anyone, I'm looking for guidance. What are some things I should ask my new pain dr?. I can't imagine being 37 years old and taking pain meds the rest of my life. Does anyone think I'd be crazy to ask for a drug that can be delivered through a patch? From people that have been in my situation, what are your outcomes and/or diagnosis? PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

• Hi I am 24 and I am in the same situation as you! All we can do is the best we can... Find yourself a good pain doctor. I am lucky to have someone who seems to really care.

Look up the author Jon Kabat Zin. He is an author that talks about living with chronic pain. If you ever want to chat feel free to private message me.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Neck pain can come from a number of disorders and diseases of any tissues in the neck.
    Chronic neck pain can be the result of several conditions, such as a pinched nerve in the neck or a damaged disc in the spine.
    It is a common ailment, and the prognosis for any form of treatment is usually very positive for a full recovery.
  • Your story sounds similar to mine... I am 32 so I totally understand how frustrating it is to be this young and have to go through pain like this.

Had ACDF in March 2009, C5/6. I was doing pretty good until about six months out when the pain intensified. Since then I have had multiple injections, rhyzotomy, do at-home PT exercises, have been seeing a pain mgt doc since March 2010.

I just recently had more injections, January and March 2012, which helped initially, but only for a few days. Since starting with my pain doc I am on a Fen patch, roxicodone, meloxicam, and flexeril. Initially they worked really well for pain, but I now have more issues in my c-spine and do not want to up any of my doses/strengths, so I am at a stand still right now, as far as meds go. The patch is a great around-the-clock pain med though. It was so nice not feeling like I was taking pills 24/7, still is, just doesn't help like it used to.

I have an appointment with my neuro on June 15th to see how he thinks we should proceed, so we will see.

Have you had an MRI/x-rays recently? If not, I would suggest getting a new one to see if you have something new going on.

Have you done physical therapy? I have tried it several times, but it didn't help long term, but that is just me, it has helped others. I also have tried a TENS unit, but didn't like it. My neighbor has back/neck problems and borrowed it and loves it. It has reduced his pain quite a bit.

Take care.

• Hey Mel, glad someone can relate! I'm going to my new pain doc on June 6th. Nervous about what kind of doctor he is. I've heard of stingy docs that don't prescribe anything and hope he's not one of those. I had a CT scan and x rays about 2 months post op which was 2 years ago. Just went to PT yesterday to see if it would help and of course, it didn't!!! It reassures me that it's not muscle related. I might be in a sticky situation with my job. I'm a firefighter who drives the fire truck and there's a chance we can get drug tested. It really sucks to be in this kind of position. My past injections worked for a couple of days and that was it. Had my last rhizo both sides around St. Patricks day this year and I think I need to go back and have them do the occipatal nerves in C-2 from what my previous doc said. He's not comfortable with going that high so that's why I'm going to a new one.