Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post plif fusion pain

D.G.DD.G. Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello all,
I had my 360 plif l5s1 fusion about 3 weeks ago. When surgery was finished my right buttock and leg were gone. I was amazed and happy. My PM sent me home with the same strenght pain med I wan on before and I was mad cause I fe;t as if I went through all of this without much help from pain meds. Anyways 3 and 1/2 weeks later my pain has returned this time avoiding my buttock but blazing a trail from my incision over toward my hip. The hip hurts really bad as does the pain around the incision, but my leg is numb behind the thigh and down to calf and the foot(last three toes and bottom of my foot).I am worried I've done to much post op and maybe have messed something up already. Now my surgeon wants to ween me from my meds and I am not ok with this just yet, remember I am only 3 weeks post op and this was the invasive 360 plif all from one incision.

Three questions, Can anyone describe what the site they took the bone from? could this be the source of my hip pain?

Is Three weeks early to take my meds away, I am still in a lot of pain.

Is the numbness just blocking the pain I have had in my thigh,calf and foot?

And my ankle jerk reflex is gone on both sides, is this an indicator of something bad? will it return or what?

• your only less than one month from MAJOR surgery .it will take months to heal {up to 2 years} i had ALIF 360 IN DEC 2011
    i also thought they used bone from the hip {he didn't} he use synthetic bone .your hip pain will be from the surgery as will all the other things you mention.as for medication i needed to be upped in hospital as i was already taking large amounts of Oxycontin and i still am 5 months on as i am still in pain and unable to sleep .the surgical pain has all but gone but the mechanical pain in my lower back is as bad as ever.
    my doctor and consultant want me to keep taking my meds as my pain is still very bad .if i were you i would ask for a second opinion regarding medication as i know just how bad that pain is .
    as for your recovery you have a long way to go you are no where like ready to reduced pain killers .i was unable to move for at least 6 weeks after my ALIF .and even now anything more than basic life puts me back in my recliner very quickly .i am sorry your in pain but its normal after such a large surgery .remember any spinal surgery is major but ALIF/PLIF are massive !! .rest up ..go for a swim when you can and don't be pushed in to rushing your recovery you will end up back in theater .i know people that is happen too.good luck for more info on my story just have a ready of some of my older posts
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014