Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck injury with bulging, dessication, and muscle spasm

mcfeetommcfeeto Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm new here, so I apologize if I've reposted something similar. I'm just looking for someone to talk to because I'm pretty sure my friends and family are tired of hearing me whine, and I just don't feel they fully understand my pain.

On April 2nd I injured myself at work while doing overhead lifting that resulted in searing pain that made sleep impossible and neck turning radius slim to none. I work in a male dominated industry of industrial suppying so I tried to "man-up", if you will, and wait the pain out.

3 weeks later I ended up filing for Workman's Compensation. After my initial doctor visit I found out from x-rays that my muscles are pulling on my spine so hard that it has straightened the natural curve of my neck. I was prescribed Vicodin for pain, Flexoril as a muscle relaxer, and prescription strength Ibuprofen for inflammation coupled with physical therapy 3 times a week.

About 3 weeks ago I had an MRI done which revealed dessication at C2-C3 and C5-C6 with circumferential bulging at C5-C6, as well as muscle spasm and spine straightening. No stenosis.

The physical thereapy isn't doing much, and whenever they give me home exercises or have me exercise at the building, it does nothing more than irritate everything. My therapist even stopped doing traction for fear that she's doing more harm than good.

Since I waited to do anything about my original injury, a lot of damage was done to the right side of my back and my right shoulder to the point where I have a constant dull pain with occasional shooting pain on either side from, what my thereapist speculates, my bulge hitting my nerves.

I'm not even sure if my neck still hurts or if I've simply gotten used to it to the point where my subconscious tunes it out.

Has anyone else gone through this? I've considered asking my doctor about Chiropractic, but there seems to be a lot of danger in it. My therapist suggested a spinocologist. But I'd rather spare myself the steroid injections my doctor keeps hinting about if nothing else is helping.

• I can certainly relate to the spasms.... sometimes I think that the spasms are so intense that they are actually damaging my spine. I have found one thing that helps the spasms. That is botox injections. It has been a god send to stop the spasms.