Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depression after lumbar spinal fusion

ArobsonAArobson Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Depression and Coping
After 3 years of debilitating pain due to DDD had fusion on 16th May 2012. Doing very well and came off oxynorm by day 7 and OxyContin by day 10. Felt great and was lookIng forward to future however, i Started to come off dihydrocodeine 30 mg 3 days ago and was fine, no pain and had a few drinks yesterday and done some things I should not have done like bending In the shower etc.... Had to take oxymoron and felt very depressed, to the point of contemplating suicide last night with all the stashed OxyContin etc... Had to take dihydrocodeine and oxymoron again today and still feeling depressed, crying a lot etc, and even worse had a few puffs of cigs..... Am I feeling like this because of the alcohol, coming off the drugs too quick, or just the major op that I've had?..

• you had a FUSION two weeks ago ?? and your off pain killers ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????.are you MAD !! {lol}.what kind of fusion did you have ? I HAD ALIF and spent one week in hospital .the net 6/8 weeks unable to move at home and now 5 months on i am still on oxycontin/oxynorm and in pain you do know recovery is around at least 18months ? in my case more like 2/3 years ..we are not taking weeks here fusions are major and take many months to heal ..your rushing things my friend ..slow down ..go to your doctors and get a pain plan sorted your going to need pain killers for a lot longer than a week !! ..please !1..far too fast .{all my info from good medical sources]
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I think the depression is normal due to the drugs and the operation.I would give your Doc a call and tell him what you said here,I'm sure they can change your prescription so it doesn't effect you that bad.

With my last operation I got off all meds by day 4 only to go back on 2 days latter,for 2 more days.I'm not saying I still didn't have pain I did/do.I just can't stand being on drugs,like you they messed with my emotions and I was foggy headed and lethargic constantly.I would rather deal with the pain with a clear head.

I'm sure you know the dangers of drinking while on these drugs,and that smoking and bending are two of the worst things you can possibly do.

• You are so early out from a very major surgery that I also believe you're rushing things. Like Tony said, you should have a medication plan that keeps you ahead of your pain, not chasing it.

Tony has had tons of problems, so for most of us it takes about 6 months just to start feeling better and a year to feel good again. Of course, this varies from person to person, bot you're way to early in recovery to think you should be much better.

Try to measure your recovery in weeks, not days. You've got a ways to go. I hope this helps because I think that you may be depressed because you think you should be better by now...not so, I'm afraid.

Take care and try to understand the seriousness of your surgery and the long recovery period that unfortunately comes with it. We can be here to help you through the difficulty of it.

• You have been very honest in expressing how you feel have you told your doctor, show him your post, keep additional medicine out of the way or take it back to the pharmacy if it is not needed. If you set a recovery rate higher than you can reach that is always a recipe for depression, you have had a lot to cope with and people here post who have been in your situation, did you read them before surgery. Set a reasonable timescale then double it and you will be about right, Tony has experience of how hard recovery is and although it may differ for each individual, a shorter time is foolish and creates problems that could be avoided.

As you said, no bending, make that list of NO, s and stick to it, it will shorten you recovery overall, rest and pace under the pain if possible or the only one to suffer more will be you. Take meds before the pain arrives, so that your underlying threshold is higher before and ongoing pain increases.Find things that you use to do and give you some acknowledgement of improvement and reward yourself every week for progress. What is it with all this rushing, who said it would be better now, it is unprofessional for anyone to even suggest that recovery is a quick process it is only thing being positive another one expecting unrealistic results.

You will get through this I have and many others on here, we had the same feelings, emotions and difficulties you are having now, it is normal for your current stage, if you feel you cannot cope get help from your doctor or appropriate agency.

Take care and pace well, time is your friend.

Come on, we are here for you, John, Titanium rods and fusion.1990