Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How can I reduce my risk of infection before surgery?

bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am planning two surgeries; the first will be an ACDF at C5-7 and the second a posterior foraminotomy at C3-4. My immune system is suppressed as a result of another medical condition. My white count is below the bottom range of normal.

I did a google search and learned about using surgeon's soap for 2 weeks before and showering 3x/dy. What else can I do? The hospital where I will have the surgeries done has MRSA.

Thanks for your help,
PLIF L1-3 6/13
ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08

• Is there any reason your surgeon can't use a surgery center? My surgeon actually has his own surgery center and trust me the service is top notch much better than any hospital I have ever been in. The infection ratio is much less in the surgery centers, as well. But this is definite question you should be asking your surgeon. They should also being doing a test for staff, usually done by a swab of your nose. In some cases they will want to treat the patient before proceeding with surgery.
  • I am due to have surgery on the 12th at a NYC hospital and they take avoiding infection to the extreme. Those are my words and I'm actually happy to follow their procedure.

They do swab your nose to check for MRSA and others I would imagine. I have to put a cream in my nose 2x a day for 5 days prior to surgery whether the swab comes back positive or not. I have to shower the night before surgery and wipe down with antibacterial cloths and then again the morning of the surgery. The Dr. also starts antibiotics before starting the surgery. This Dr. has not had a staff infection in any of his patients since starting this protocol. Don't know if its his, or the hospitals procedure but since I had a staff infection round from a surgery in 1985 I am only to happy to do as they say. If you need the name of the cream and the wipes send me a PM and I'll be happy to provide them.
  • surly before you ave your operation you will be tested for MRSA and other potential health problems in your pre op test?? {standard procedure in the uk}
    as for your self just wash with normal shower gel .and eat well .if you have any other health issues surely the medics that are operating on you will advise ../good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014