Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

16 days post op and things getting bad already!

welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
the pain i had in the back of my head was so much better after op on 16th may, but each day it is getting worse again, as if pressure building, almost as bad now as pre op. i know they said the op was to prevent not cure, but for a few days post op my walking felt great, no heaviness in legs, felt safe, now not so safe, periods of heaviness, pins and needles etc. same in right hand/arm. thought i was doing brilliantly, now i can see the gain slipping away. is this normal? will things improve as things settle? has anyone else felt the relief i felt post op to be followed by this downward slide? any help gratefully recieved.

• Keep in mind that during surgery they place medication directly into the spine, and this is not on heard of as the medications wear off. That doesn't mean your surgery was a failure, but rather the other nerves they messed with during surgery are letting you know the are not medicated any longer. Remember you had major surgery and sometimes it takes sometimes to get over the big hump. Remember to take your muscles relaxers faithfully and hopefully in time you will begin to feel better. Just stay positive that things will work there way out, I know a difficult task to do, while you feel so badly, but it can take weeks for you to begin to feel better. Keep us posted, but congrats on how far you have come already.
  • thank you both for your words of encouragement, Tamtam i hadnt considered the medication might only just have worn off, that makes sense. i will try to be patient, (not my usual way of being though!) i will not be so stubborn in trying to come off the meds and see if that helps. #o many thanks
  • after my ALIF i was in hospital for a week then when i cam home i was on my recliner for 6/8 weeks zombied ! i went through hardly any pain to mega pain .its normal as you have had major surgery .{if you are worried see you doctor} .recover is long for any spinal operation especially fusions
    take care
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Hi,

I have been away for a few days, but wanted to say tamtam is right,this is a big surgery, it takes a long time to heal from, and don't try to cut down on your meds to fast. You will know by how you feel when it's time.

I always think we are in the age of instant everything, so it's hard to be patient, but we wouldn't expect a patient who just had open heart surgery to be off all meds and doing chores at 16 days post-op!

Of course, I think we all have unrealistic expectations when it comes to ourselves. We wouldn't expect this of others, but we do for ourselves. lol

Allow yourself time, ease gradually into what you are able. Walk if & as much as you can, you already know exercise is good for your general health. Hope this hasn't thrown too much of a curve into your diabebtes.

Hang in there!

• It does get frustrating...I had 3 level on May 15th, and yesterday I felt great. Today, not so much. In the short time since my surgery, I have learned that we pay today for what we did yesterday. I have used a wheelchair my whole life and yesterday I sat up for 14 hours working on my PC, trying to catch up at work. I woke up today feeling like a Monty Python cartoon character that had 5 ton weight dropped on him.

It's also interesting to note that when I had many ortho surgeries 20-30 years ago, I would be in the hospital for 3-4 weeks. Now, its 3-4 days. Our bodies have not changed, the insurance companies have. So, don't let them fool you into thinking you should be feeling better sooner. Just a thought.

Feel better.

- Vin

3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012