Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck disc herniation.

kolleammkkolleamm Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Oh boy where do i start?

10 months ago after and intense exercise session my left neck/shoulder area went into spasm. I can move my neck side to side but not up and down without pain, especially not up!

my doctors told me its anxiety...bunch of clowns

Im pretty sure i herniated a disc, c5 c6?

im only 19 btw.

what should i do?
traction? chiropractor? wait years?

i only have pain when looking down or up otherwise im ok, any response is greatly appreciated!

heres my neck xray, if it helps, i know i need mri

• Hi and welcome to spine-health, I am having an ACDF C5-6 in July. I have had neck problems since 2008 and am having surgery because I have done everything else I could. I have three bad disc in neck but neuro is only doing one fusion at this time. I am 47 but can tell you to search this forum and you will find people your age who already have had surgery. People on this site will help you because we all know the pain you are feeling. Please search the neck pain forum I have read threads about others like you and know its there. You might have to go back a few pages but it will be worth it. God Bless,Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
  • Thanks Joe glad were in this together... hopefully this nightmare will end, thank you!
  • Hi,

Don't let doctors brush you off because of your age. You should ask for an MRI. An X ray won't show much!

I know what it is like to be young and have a neck problem. I had to do a lot of advocating for my self. I finally got an mri and then had surgery.

Good luck!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Thank you Donnabe, im glad we can relate. I wont let them push me anymore, you encouraged me. Im very happy im not alone here... thank you!
  • If they did people wouldn't need MRI's. You should try to get an MRI and if you do have a cervical spine problem seeing a Chiropractor is the last thing you need to do.

Don't let anyone manipulate your neck.
  • Good luck with your surgery. Be sure to follow ALL the post op instructions your surgeon gives you and you should have no problems. It's people who don't-like lifting and trying to run marathons weeks after the surgery-who do have problems. Remember, this is MAJOR surgery; the spine is actually an extension of your brain so in a way it's like having brain surgery.
  • Don't let them laugh at you-it's your neck.

Sometimes I think a lot of doctors need to go back to school if not just to learn basic patient relating skills. Some of them have a "god" complex which makes for a bad doctor.
  • Yeah i dont trust chiropractors either.

At this point, my life has been so bad, not because of pain but the lack of flexibility that im ready for surgery.

What types do you guys recommend? fusion right? and how long is the wait for the surgery? 1 month? 6?