Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to go about getting surgery

sunrise8841ssunrise8841 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all,

I've been diagnosed with disc herniations in c5-c6 and also l4-l5 l5-s1. I am considering surgery but I have no health insurance. But, I do have a doctor through my attorney that is helping me get treatment and/or settlement for my injuries from working.

So far, my experience with these doctors has been disappointing. There PT did not help me, nor their chiro, and acupuncture. All it did was give me relief but not for long. I'm skeptical about going through their surgeons but I still would like to get their opinion on me getting surgery. But honestly, I don't know much about their surgeons because I have never heard much about them.

I would like to go see some surgeons who are more specialized like a neurologist or spine surgeon. But, I have no health insurance.

I'll be 24 in two days, live in southern california and not sure how to go about this process.

Can someone give me some advice on what I could do?

• Asking others, especially doctors and other surgeons, if they know of a good spine surgeon might bring to light possible leads. Ask if it were them who would they go to?

Some doctors accept other forms of payment. I don't have insurance either and cash opened all of the doors for me. Additionally, many offer discounts on their services when paid in such manner. That's what I experienced.

Since we're not allowed to post names here, I can pm you the names of a few good ones in Los Angeles. Let me know.

Then, check on the state's medical board website to see if there is any kind of history on them and if they are in good standing. Of course, typing their name into a search engine and researching online would also yield info.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Kwilson400KKwilson400 Posts: 42
    edited 07/15/2012 - 4:36 PM
    Good luck
    June 2011 L5-S1 Lamenectomy/Discectomy
    Dec. 2011 Repeat L5-S1 Lamenectomy/Discectomy
    June 2012 New tear L5-S1 w/ Perm. Sciatic Nerve Damage
    Currently- restrictions (including no work duties) for a min. of 3 months to allow disc time to heal