Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What could this be??

Vin1215VVin1215 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Looking for a last resort for an answer or at least direction.

I am a 25 healthy male and had a 2 level discectomy in August of 2010. I had discectomies on my l4/l5 and l5/s1.

While the surgeon was operating, he noticed that one of my L4/L5 facet joints was "essentially floating in my spinal canal" per the surgery report. So basically I now have a pars defect to boot.

After surgery my nerve pain on my left leg got much worse for 4 weeks. After the initial 4 weeks the nerve pain calmed down and today it is 80% better which is great! However with that great news comes terrible news.

Since I "recovered" my back pain has gotten much worse. I did'nt have terrible back pain pre-surgery. It would only flare up when I played basketball. The surgery was due to my debilitating leg pain which prevented me from sitting straight up, walking, and standing for longer than 5 minutes.So in that sense the surgery worked but my new back pain is with me all day and I cannot do anything I used to do.

I have an inversion table and it is the only thing that gives me relief. When I get home from work I get on it, fully invert, and my lower back and sacrum completely pop so loud and I can feel them move into place, it is the weirdest thing ever but it happens every day and it is the only thing that gives relief.

Prior to surgery, I used the inversion table every day but my back never popped and honestly it never gave me any relief but I tried it as a measure to avoid surgery however today, I can't live without it.

The pain feels axial/mechanical and it is on the middle to right side of my lower back and sacrum. Sometimes I will invert with just one leg locked in (my right leg) because my right side is so bad and I need that side to pop.

I saw a therapist for 2 weeks and he said my hip is anterior tilted and my sacrum is basically out of place. He says my right leg is 3/4 of an inch shorter than my left because of this. We work for an hour to stretch it and by the end my legs are the same length. The only problem is it goes back to out of place before I can even get any pain relief.

I dont know if this is bad instability, facet joint, or si joint or all 3. Does anyone have any suggestions? What happens in surgery that causes this as I did not have this prior and how can I fix it. I do not want to be hooked on an inversion table as I cant even vacation, and I would like to resume working out, jogging etc.. This is ridiculous for a 25 year old who was very fit and health just 10 months ago :(

• Kwilson400KKwilson400 Posts: 42
    edited 07/15/2012 - 3:51 PM
    Good luck
    June 2011 L5-S1 Lamenectomy/Discectomy
    Dec. 2011 Repeat L5-S1 Lamenectomy/Discectomy
    June 2012 New tear L5-S1 w/ Perm. Sciatic Nerve Damage
    Currently- restrictions (including no work duties) for a min. of 3 months to allow disc time to heal
  • You may want to contact your physician and get another MRI. I had L5-S1 Microdiscectomy in Feb. and when my "post-op back pain" didn't get better, I got a follow up MRI. My NS had released me in spite of my continued pain, so I had to insist on one from my pre-op pain management doc. Showed reherniation of the disc. No wonder I hurt so bad! Now, awaiting fusion, as the leg pain has started back as well.

There is a reason you're not doing well. Rule out reherniation with repeat MRI before suffering for months needlessly.
    Mother, wife, Southern farm keeper, chicken lady, beekeeper, anesthesia provider. L5-S1 PLIF 9/2013. Visit PLIF blog at http://www.lumbarfusionfusion.blogspot.com